Margaret Beauchamp of Bletso
|Duchess of Somerset
|Spouse(s)||Sir Oliver St John
John Beaufort, 1st Duke of Somerset
Lionel de Welles, 6th Baron Welles
IssueSir John St John
Oliver St John
Edith St John
Mary St John
Elizabeth St John
Agnes St John
Margaret St John
Lady Margaret Beaufort
John Welles, 1st Viscount Welles
|Father||John Beauchamp of Bletso|
|Died||before 3 June 1482|
Margaret Beauchamp (c.1410 – before 3 June 1482) was the daughter of Sir John Beauchamp, de jure 3rd Baron Beauchamp of Bletsoe, and his second wife, Edith Stourton. She was the maternal grandmother of Henry VII.
Margaret Beauchamp, born about 1410, was the daughter of Sir John Beauchamp, de jure 3rd Baron Beauchamp (d. 1412-1414) of Bletsoe, Bedfordshire, and his second wife, Edith Stourton (d. 13 June 1441), daughter of Sir John Stourton of Stourton, Wiltshire.
In 1421 she was heiress to her only brother, John Beauchamp, who died young and unmarried, from whom she inherited the manors of Lydiard Tregoze in Wiltshire, Ashmore in Dorset, and Bletsoe and Keysoe in Bedfordshire, and, according to modern doctrine, the right to any barony of Beauchamp created by summons to Parliament directed to her great-great-grandfather, Roger Beauchamp, 1st Baron Beauchamp (d. 3 January 1380) of Bletsoe.
She married firstly Sir Oliver St John (d.1437), son and heir of Sir John St John and Isabel Paveley, daughter and heiress of Sir John Paveley, by whom she had two sons and five daughters:
- Sir John St John (d.1513/14) of Bletsoe, who married Alice Bradshagh, daughter of Sir Thomas Bradshagh, of Haigh, Lancashire.
- Oliver St John (d.1497), esquire, of Lydiard Tregoze, Wiltshire, who married Elizabeth Scrope, widow successively of Sir John Bigod (d.1461) of Settrington, Yorkshire, and Henry Rochford (d. 25 October 1470), esquire, of Stoke Rochford, Lincolnshire, and daughter of Henry Scrope, 4th Baron Scrope of Bolton, and Elizabeth le Scrope, daughter of John Scrope, 4th Baron Scrope of Masham.
- Edith St John, who married Geoffrey Pole, esquire.
- Mary St John, who married Sir Richard Frogenall.
- Elizabeth St John (d. before 3 July 1494) who married firstly, before 2 April 1450, as his second wife, William la Zouche, 5th Baron Zouche (d. 25 December 1462) of Harringworth, and secondly, before 10 December 1471, as his second wife, John Scrope, 5th Baron Scrope of Bolton (d. 17 August 1498).
- Agnes St John, who married David Malpas.
- Margaret St John, Abbess of Shaftesbury.
She married secondly, after 2 August 1441, John Beaufort, 1st Duke of Somerset, by whom she had one daughter:
- Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby, who married Edmund Tudor, 1st Earl of Richmond, by whom she was the mother of Henry VII.
- John Welles, 1st Viscount Welles, who married Cecily of York, the daughter of Edward IV of England.
Margaret Beauchamp figures prominently in the 2010 Philippa Gregory novel The Red Queen, and was played by Frances Tomelty in the 2013 White Queen mini-series; though depicted as a cold and distant mother to Margaret Beaufort in both, in reality she had a close and loving relationship with her daughter during her lifetime.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (March 2014)|
|Ancestors of Margaret Beauchamp of Bletso|
- Cokayne, George Edward (1912). The Complete Peerage, edited by Vicary Gibbs II. London: St. Catherine Press. pp. 44–5.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G., ed. Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families III (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 1449966381.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G., ed. Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families IV (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 1460992709.