Mark Girouard FSA (born 1931) is a British architectural writer, an authority on the country house, an architectural historian, and biographer of James Stirling.
Girouard is married to the artist Dorothy Girouard, and has a daughter. They live in Notting Hill Gate, London.
Girouard worked for Country Life magazine from about 1958, firstly as its Architectural Writer, and then from 1964 as its Architectural Editor, until 1967. He was Slade Professor of Fine Art from 1975 to 1976. He was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London in 1987. He has been on the Board of Trustees of The Architecture Foundation.
His Life in the English Country House won the Duff Cooper Memorial Prize for 1978, and the WH Smith Literary Award in 1979.
- Montacute House, Somerset (1964)
- Robert Smythson and the Architecture of the Elizabethan Era (1966)
- Victorian Pubs (1975)
- Hardwick Hall (1976)
- Sweetness and Light: The "Queen Anne" Movement, 1860-1900 (1977)
- Life in the English Country House: A Social and Architectural History (1978)
- Historic Houses of Britain (1979)
- The Victorian Country House (1979)
- Alfred Waterhouse and the Natural History Museum (1981)
- The Return to Camelot: Chivalry and the English Gentleman (1981)
- Robert Smythson and the Elizabethan Country House (1983)
- Cities and People: A Social and Architectural History (1985)
- A Country House Companion (1987) editor
- The English Town: A History of Urban Life (1990)
- Town and Country (1992)
- Windsor: The Most Romantic Castle (1993)
- Big Jim: The Life and Work of James Stirling (1998) Chatto & Windus, ISBN 978-0-7011-6247-4.
- A Hundred Years at Waddesdon (1998), ISBN 978-0-9527809-2-2.
- Life in the French Country House (2000)
- Rushton Triangular Lodge (2004)
- Elizabethan Architecture: Its Rise and Fall, 1540–1640 (2009), ISBN 978-0-300-09386-5.
- Enthusiasms (2011) Frances Lincoln, ISBN 978-071123329-4
- ^ The Independent, 8 February 1993, Marina Cantacuzino "Does only have to mean lonely?: How does growing up without siblings affect a child? Marina Cantacuzino looks at the question from the point of view of offspring and parents"
- ^ List of the Fellows of the Society of Antiquaries
- ^ Life in the English Country House - Girouard, Mark - Yale University Press