Marshfield High School (Coos Bay, Oregon)
|Marshfield High School|
|10th & Ingersoll
Coos Bay, Oregon, Coos, 97420
|School district||Coos Bay School District|
|Number of students||1157|
|Color(s)||Purple and Gold|
|Athletics conference||OSAA 4A|
|Rival||North Bend High School|
|Newspaper||The Marshfield Times|
Marshfield High School is a public high school in Coos Bay, Oregon, United States. Coos Bay is located on the southern Oregon coast. The campus consists of four major buildings, including an Intermediate building which opened in 2000 that serves as a math and science building. It also has a gymnasium that seats 3,000. There is also a separate facility that houses the Drama program.
In 2008, 78% of the school's seniors received their high school diploma. Of 268 students, 210 graduated, 37 dropped out, 1 received a modified diploma, and 20 are still in high school. In 2013, approximately 1,300 students remain at Marshfield High School
- Boys track & field: 2008, 2009
- Small dance: 1990, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2013
- Girls track & field: 1972, 2005
- Small cheerleading: 1997, 2002
- Football: 1942, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1992
- Girls tennis: 1967
- Boys basketball: 1947, 1953
The Marshfield Times is a monthly student-published newspaper. The paper has consistently been ranked among the best student papers in America by the National Scholastic Press Association. The paper prints nine times per year. Originally named "Ma-Hi Times," the newspaper was renamed "The Marshfield Times" in 1987 by Editor-in-Chief Moreen Littrell. It briefly returned to its original name from 1991-1993.
- Mel Counts - Olympic & NBA basketball player
- Elgen Long - Pioneering aviator, received honorary diploma
- Steve Prefontaine - Olympic runner & former American record holder
- George Whitty - Grammy & Emmy Award Winner
- Jeff Whitty - Tony Award Winner, Avenue Q
- Mark Helfrich - University of Oregon Head Football Coach
- "Coos Bay School District Buildings". Coos Bay Public Schools. 2009-08-18. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- The World (Coos Bay) "Marshfield paper places second in nation". Retrieved January 15, 2012.
- Rich, Alexander (2010-01-19). "Life in the wild blue". The World (Oregon). Retrieved 2010-01-19.
- Welch, Bob (2010-01-19). "Aviator comes home for diploma". The Register-Guard. Retrieved 2010-01-19.