||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2008)|
|Born||1945 (age 69–70)
|Education||King Henry VIII School, Coventry|
|Alma mater||University of Manchester (B.A.)
University of Cambridge (PhD)
|Occupation||editor, academic, author|
Martin Jacques (born 1945) is a British journalist and academic.
Jacques was born in October 1945 in the city of Coventry in the West Midlands, and was brought up there.
Jacques was educated at King Henry VIII School, an independent school in Coventry, (at the time a partly fee-paying boys' Direct grant grammar school), followed by the University of Manchester, where he graduated with a first-class Honours degree, and subsequently at King's College at the University of Cambridge, where he studied for a PhD.
Life and career
Jacques was editor of the Communist Party of Great Britain's journal, Marxism Today from 1977 until its closure in 1991. In this period, he was the co-editor or co-author of The Forward March of Labour Halted? (1981), The Politics of Thatcherism (1983) and New Times (1989).
Jacques was a co-founder of the think-tank Demos.
Jacques is a visiting fellow at the London School of Economics Asia Research Centre.
He was a visiting professor at the International Centre for Chinese Studies at Aichi University in Japan, a visiting professor at Renmin University in Beijing and a senior visiting fellow at the Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore.
In 2009, Jacques' book about Asian modernity and the rise of China entitled When China Rules the World: The End of the Western World and the Birth of a New Global Order was published.
- Guardian Column – Martin Jacques
- New Statesman – Martin Jacques
- Audio: Martin Jacques in conversation on the BBC World Service discussion show The Forum
- Video: Martin Jacques discusses his book, When China Rules the World, at the Asia Society, 11 November 2009
- Video: Martin Jacques speaks on Understanding the Rise of China at a TED Conference, October 2010
- Profile at China Speakers Agency
- Martin Jacques interviewed by Alan Macfarlane 12 April 2011 (film)
|Editor of Marxism Today
|Deputy Editor of The Independent