Martina Stella in 2007
November 28, 1984
L'ultimo bacio was released internationally, with the title The Last Kiss for English-speaking audiences. Reviews of Stella's performance as Francesca, a beautiful teenager who seduces Carlo (Stefano Accorsi) a man in a committed relationship, were generally positive. One American reviewer compared her to "a young Reese Witherspoon", while another described her portrayal in greater depth:
In an American movie, Francesca would be presented as a virgin with a Britney Spears-like come-on or trivialized as a mindless bimbo. In "The Last Kiss," she's presented without judgment as a normal, sexually active girl with a lot to learn about men. It's a balanced and sympathetic portrait.
Stella proceeded to build a career as an actress in Italian films, including 2002's Amnèsia, which was directed by past Academy Award-winner Gabriele Salvatores. Her film career has also included a small role in the 2004 Hollywood movie Ocean's Twelve. She studied English for her role in the 2009 Rob Marshall film Nine.
Stella made her theatrical debut in 2002 in Aggiungi un posto a tavola, and briefly returned to the stage in 2006 in Romeo e Guilietta. Stella has also played lead roles in various Italian television projects, including the miniseries Le ragazze di San Frediano and Piper.
Appearances in other media
Over the years, Stella has been a spokesperson for various commercial products (primarily clothing and cosmetics) and for several charitable causes.
Stella often visits Italian television talk shows to promote her acting projects and interests. She has also been a prank victim on Italian television's Scherzi a Parte, and she acted in the videoclip for the song "Eternal woman" by the Belgian band dEUS.
In print, Stella is a frequent cover model, interview subject, and story topic for Italian magazines. She has appeared multiple times on the covers of the Italian-language publications Max and Vanity Fair.
Stella has been dating hair stylist Gabriele Gregorini since 2011. In May 2012, Stella announced she had become pregnant with Gregorini's child, and on October 30, 2012 their daughter Ginevra was born.
|2001||L'ultimo bacio||Francesca||Directed by Gabriele Muccino|
|2002||Amnèsia||Luce||Directed by Gabriele Salvatores|
|Nemmeno in un sogno||Vale|
|Un amore perfetto||Laura|
|2004||Ocean's Twelve||Nagel’s assistant||Directed by Steven Soderbergh|
|2008||K. Il bandito||Clara|
|Il mattino ha l'oro in bocca||Cristina|
|Il seme della discordia||Nike|
|2009||Nine||Donatella||Directed by Rob Marshall|
|Un'estate ai Caraibi||Laura|
|2010||Ti presento un amico||Gabriella||Directed by Carlo Vanzina|
|2003||Imperium: Augustus||Young Livia|
|2004||Le stagioni del cuore||Emma Valenti|
|2006||La freccia nera||Giovanna Bentivoglio di Fanes||Television miniseries|
|2007||Le ragazze di San Frediano||Silvana||Television miniseries|
|2011||Tiberio Mitri: il campione e la miss||Fulvia Franco|
|Angeli e diamanti||Giorgia|
- "Tornano gli amici de 'L'ultimo bacio' (in Italian)". Repubblica.it. 2009-10-29. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- Jules Verdone (2002-09-20). "The Last Kiss Movie Review". Boston.com. Retrieved 2009-04-20.
- Mick LaSalle (2002-09-13). "Kissing off the fairy tale / Sex comedy shows love's dark and scary underbelly". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2009-04-20.
- Giuseppina Marin (2008-11-12). "Martina Stella fra le star" (in Italian). Corriere della Sera. Retrieved 2009-04-20.
- "Giffoni Film Festival: Martina Stella, bella, giovane e determinata" (in Italian). Rockol.it. 2003-07-21. Retrieved 2009-04-20.
- "Martina Stella è incinta" (in Italian). Mediaset.it. 2012-05-30. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "Martina Stella è diventata mamma di Ginevra" (in Italian). Giornale di Puglia. 2012-11-03. Retrieved 2012-11-05.