Niskanen with the Penguins in 2012.
December 6, 1986 |
Virginia, MN, USA
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||204 lb (93 kg; 14 st 8 lb)|
|National team||United States|
|NHL Draft||28th overall, 2005
Matthew Norman Niskanen (born December 6, 1986) is an American professional ice hockey defenseman of Finnish origin who is currently playing for the Pittsburgh Penguins in the National Hockey League. He was drafted by the Dallas Stars in the first round, 28th overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
Niskanen attended the University of Minnesota Duluth. In 2005–06, his freshman season on the Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs hockey team, he recorded 14 points in 38 games. Before that, Niskanen played for the Virginia/Mountain Iron-Buhl boy's hockey team and helped bring the Blue Devils to their first state high school tournament appearance. During 2006–07, his sophomore season on the Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs hockey team, he recorded nine goals and twenty-two assists in thirty-nine games. Niskanen was named to the 2006–2007 All WCHA First Team, and the All WCHA academic Team.
Niskanen decided to leave college and turn pro after his sophomore season at UMD. On March 19, 2007, he signed an amateur tryout contract with the Iowa Stars for the rest of the season; he later signed a three-year NHL contract with the Dallas Stars which began in 2007–08. He subsequently made the Stars' 2007–08 roster out of training camp.
Niskanen made his NHL regular season debut against the Colorado Avalanche on October 3, 2007. He recorded his first NHL points against the Boston Bruins two nights later with two assists. His first NHL goal came on October 29, 2007 against the San Jose Sharks. Niskanen had an excellent rookie start with the Stars, leading the team in plus/minus at mid-season, which resulted in his being invited to the Young Stars game during the 2008 NHL All-Star weekend.
|Senior International totals||9||1||2||3||2|
Awards and honors
|All-WCHA First Team||2006–07|
- "NHL Entry Draft Year by Year Results". National Hockey League.
- "Niskanen selected to All WCHA First Team". UMD Bulldogs. 2006-03-30. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "All WCHA Academic Team announced". UMD Bulldogs. 2006-04-15. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- "Matt Niskanen to sign with Stars". Duluth News Tribune. 2007-03-20. Retrieved 2008-07-06.[dead link]
- "Penguins acquire James Neal and Matt Niskanen from Stars for Alex Goligoski". Pittsburgh Penguins. 2011-02-21. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- Matt Niskanen's player profile at NHL.com
- Matt Niskanen's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Matt Niskanen's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
|Dallas Stars first round draft pick