||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
Wertz in September 2012
|Birth name||Matthew Stewart Wertz|
February 17, 1979 |
Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.
|Origin||Liberty, Missouri, U.S.|
|Labels||Nettwerk, Universal Republic|
|Associated acts||Dave Barnes, Ben Rector|
Matt Wertz is an American singer-songwriter. Originally from Liberty, Missouri, he now lives in Nashville, Tennessee. His interest in visual art led him to study at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign where he graduated with a degree in industrial design. While there, his musical talents and ambitions grew.
Life & Career
Born and raised in Liberty, MO, near Kansas City, Matt Wertz started writing songs his first year of college. After graduation in 2001, Wertz moved to Nashville gained a considerable fan base by performing at Young Life camps, after releasing his first album, Somedays, produced by Steve Wilson[disambiguation needed]. His next studio album, Twenty Three Places (2003) was produced with Ed Cash. Today & Tomorrow was produced by Wertz and best friend Dave Barnes in 2005, and thanks to his constant touring, the singer was signed to Nettwerk Records.
On September 19, 2006, Wertz released his third studio album, Everything in Between. In late 2007, he went back on the road with fellow singer-songwriter and friend Dave Barnes. Their aptly named tour, Two Birds/One Stone, toured around the US, ending in Nashville.
In November 2009, Wertz announced on his website that he is no longer with Universal Republic and to celebrate, he began giving away If It Ain't Broke..., recorded live at the Triple Door in Seattle on May 28, 2008, as a free album.[better source needed]
In January 2011, Wertz released the single, "Feels So Right", as part of his album, Weights & Wings, released on March 15, 2011. He began a tour to promote the album on March 25, 2011, in New York City. He also released a holiday-themed album, Snowglobe, in late 2011.
In anticipation of Wherever / Whenever EP, released on April 1, 2013, Matt Wertz gave away a collection of his personal favorite songs from his celebrated 13-year career.
Heatwave was released on August 27, 2013. Its first single is "Get to You".
He has toured with such acts as Hanson, Jon McLaughlin, Jason Mraz, Jamie Cullum, Gavin Degraw, Matt Nathanson, Five For Fighting, O.A.R., Ben Rector and Jars of Clay, and has headlined several tours nationally in the early-to-mid-2000s (decade).
|Live in Paradise||
|Today & Tomorrow EP||
|Everything in Between||
|Under Summer Sun||
|Where We Started EP||
|If It Ain't Broke...||
|While We're Becoming EP||
|Weights & Wings||
|Old Flames EP||
- Matt Wertz (February 17, 1979). "Matt Wertz | Music Biography, Credits and Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- "Matt Wertz | Nettwerk Press Blog". Nettskinny.com. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- "Under Summer Sun: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- "Matt Wertz". Matt Wertz. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- February 2, 2011 5:04PM by Nadine Cheung (February 2, 2011). "Matt Wertz, 'Feels So Right' - New Song". AOL Radio Blog. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- "Matt Wertz Premieres Second Track "Running Back To You" From Upcoming 'Weights & Wings'". Netwerk Press Blog. February 18, 2011.
- "Matt Wertz : Collection | Free Music Download". Noisetrade.com. April 1, 2013. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- "GET TO YOU video (premiere)". Mattwertz.com. August 14, 2013. Retrieved March 29, 2014.