Matthew H. Smith
|Matthew H. Smith|
|Member of the Pennsylvania Senate
from the 37th district
January 1, 2013
|Preceded by||John Pippy|
|Constituency||Part of Allegheny and Washington Counties|
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
from the 42nd district
January 2, 2007 – December 8, 2012
|Preceded by||Thomas Stevenson|
|Succeeded by||Dan Miller|
|Constituency||Part of Allegheny County|
September 19, 1972 |
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
|Residence||Mount Lebanon, Pennsylvania|
|Alma mater||Rollins College
Duquesne Law School
Matthew Hayden "Matt" Smith (born September 19, 1972 in Bethel Park, Pennsylvania) is an American politician and member of the Democratic Party. From 2007 to 2012, he served in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives. In 2012, he was elected to the State Senate from the 37th district.
Smith is the son of James and Janice Smith who also were born and raised in the Mount Lebanon, Pennsylvania. Smith is a graduate of Rollins College at Winter Park, Florida with a degree in history. He graduated from the Duquesne University School of Law with honors in 1999. He lives in Mount Lebanon, Pennsylvania with his wife, Eileen Smith. Prior to elective office, Smith worked for Babst, Calland, Clements and Zomnir, P.C.
|2006||Mark Harris||11,795||41.6%||Matt Smith||16,568||58.4%|
|2008||Jim Blazeck||12,139||34.6%||Matt Smith||22,919||65.4%|
|2010||Sue Means||10,591||40.2%||Matt Smith||15,740||59.8%|
|2012||D. Raja||59,626||47.3%||Matt Smith||66,467||52.7%|
- "SESSION OF 2013 197TH OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY No. 1". LEGISLATIVE JOURNAL. Pennsylvania Senate. 2013-01-01. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
- "SESSION OF 2007 191ST OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY No. 1". LEGISLATIVE JOURNAL. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2007-01-02. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "Smith resigns from House, announces Senatorial offices". News. Observer-Reporter. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "Rep. Matthew H. Smith Biography". Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus. 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "Matthew H. Smith". Attorney Profile (Babst, Calland, Clements and Zomnir, P.C.). 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "Representative Matthew H. Smith (PA)". Project Vote Smart. Project Vote Smart. 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "2006 General Election - Representative in the General Assembly". Commonwealth of PA - Elections Information. Pennsylvania Department of State. 2004. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "2012 General Election - Senator in the General Assembly". Pennsylvania Department of State. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- Comment at Elected Officials Forum, held on the campus of Robert Morris University, April 4, 2014
- "Election Statistics". PA Department of State. Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- Pennsylvania Senate - Matthew H. Smith official PA Senate website
- Vote Matt Smith official campaign website