Puempel (left) accepting a Star of the Game award in February 2013
January 24, 1993 |
Windsor, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||190 lb (86 kg; 13 st 8 lb)|
|NHL team (P)
Binghamton Senators (AHL)
|NHL Draft||24th overall, 2011
|Competitor for Canada|
|Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament|
Matthew Puempel (born January 24, 1993) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player. He is currently a member of the Binghamton Senators of the American Hockey League (AHL), the primary development team of the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey League (NHL). Puempel was selected 24th overall in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft by the Ottawa Senators.
Puempel's 2009–10 season was a noteworthy rookie OHL season. Playing for the Peterborough Petes, he led all OHL rookies in goals and points and was second on his team in scoring. His point totals landed him at 39th in overall league scoring and he won the Emms Family Award as well as the CHL Rookie of the Year award. In his second season with the Petes, he was hampered by a back injury just before the season and a bone chip on his hip that required surgery and ended his season prematurely.
On December 8, 2011, Puempel was suspended for 8 games for a hit to the head of forward Sebastian Uvira during a game against the Oshawa Generals. On June 27, 2012, Puempel requested a trade to a contending team and was subsequently dealt to the Kitchener Rangers. "Being around Ottawa and this being my last year of junior, I wanted to win and be a part of a team that is in a different phase of a rebuild," he told the Peterborough Examiner.
Eager for the chance to select Puempel, Ottawa traded a pair of second-round picks (35th and 48th overall) to Detroit in order to obtain the 24th overall spot in the draft. Puempel signed an entry level contract with the Senators on December 29, 2011. He made his professional debut with the Binghamton Senators late in the 2011-12 season. In his first full professional season in 2013-14, Puempel scored 30 goals, tying Mike Hoffman for the Binghamton team goal scoring lead.
In the midst of his second full professional season in Binghamton, Puempel was recalled to Ottawa on February 19, 2015. At the time, he ranked third in Binghamton team scoring with 32 points (12 goals and 20 assists) in 51 regular-season games.
Regular season and playoffs
Awards and honors
|CHL Rookie of the Year||2009–10|||
|CHL All-Rookie Team||2009–10|
|Emms Family Award||2009–10|||
|OHL First All-Rookie Team||2009–10|
- "Puempel, Matt 2013 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings". National Hockey League. 2009-05-06. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- "CHL.ca - Annual Awards". CHL.ca.
- Matt Puempel – NHL Draft Profile | The Scouting Report
- Petes trade Matt Puempel | Local Hockey | Sports | Peterborough Examiner
- http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=608764 Senators add to prospect stockpile with signings
- News Release: Senators recall forward Matt Puempel from Binghamton (AHL) http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=754089
- "Petes’ Matt Puempel named OHL Rookie of the Year". Ontario Hockey League. 2010-04-08.
- Matthew Puempel player profile page at ESPN NHL DraftTracker
- Matt Puempel's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Matt Puempel's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Matt Puempel's player profile at Ontario Hockey League
|Winner of the CHL Rookie of the Year Award
|Winner of the Emms Family Award
|Ottawa Senators first round draft pick