|Birth name||Matthew Woods Brody|
|Born||1969 (age 44–45)
Elgin, Illinois, U.S.
|Origin||Austin, Texas, U.S.|
Insect Sex Act
Naugahyde Dream Sequence
Sangre de Toro
Brody was born in the town of Elgin, Illinois and raised there until the age of five. He and his family then relocated to the city of Scottsdale, Arizona. Brody started playing clarinet in the 2nd grade, switching to sax as soon as he could reasonably hold one. By high school, he and his brother, Doug, were writing and recording jazzy, ambient, 'new age' songs under the moniker "Mosaic" at their parents house which resulted in a series of recordings that were released in the mid to late 1980s on the Invincible label out of Phoenix, Arizona. The two also made appearances on albums by other artists on that label. He later taught himself to play drums.
After his graduation from high school in 1987, Brody moved to Claremont, California and graduated from Pomona College in 1991. Bouncing back and forth from Los Angeles to Seattle, he eventually settled on Austin, where his favorite bands came from.
He met his wife, Sherry, on the set of A.I., who was an extra in the film. They later married in 2004, in Arizona. They have one child together named Isabella. Divorced in 2010, he now has full custody of his daughter and lives in Washington state.
After graduating college, Max moved to Seattle, Washington and played in a bunch of local rock bands. Finding the Seattle scene saturated, he moved from there at the end of 1993 to Austin, Texas. There, he met and became musical partners with Rey Washam, drummer for such seminal punk/hardcore acts as Rapeman, Scratch Acid and the Big Boys. They went on to form the short-lived Euripedes Pants, which featured a number of infamous Austin musicians. Rey later went on to drum for Ministry.
In the late spring of 1999, he received a call from Ministry co-performer Paul Barker, whom offered Brody the opportunity to perform saxophone parts during their ill-fated Dark Side of the Spoon tour. He later went on to perform one-half of the drum duties for their 2003 Animositisomina tour and album, as well as their follow-up Houses of the Molé.
He also appeared as the drummer for the "Flesh Fair Band" (a.k.a. Ministry) in the Kubrick/Spielburg (2001) film A.I..
Brody continues to work with fellow Austin musicians like Brett Bradford, Jeff Pinkus, Jason Craig, Jimbo Yongue, Randy Turner, Richy Vegas, D Kithcart, Paul Barker, Danny Barnes, etc., as well as New York musicians Victor Poison-tete (from Rat At Rat R)and Stu Spasm (Lubricated Goat)... under many different music projects. Having learned a great deal about production during his years in Ministry, he has now begun to produce records and events on his own, starting a multimedia company called "Darkstack" with Austin visual artist D Kithcart. As of late 2012, He has moved to Shoreline, Washington with his daughter. In 2013 he started a band with Danny Barnes (ex-Bad Livers) called the Test Apes.
- Pink Anvil
- Areola 51
- Insect Sex Act
- Naugahyde Dream Sequence
- Sangre de Toro
- Ye Olde Castletons
- Taxi Crab Nebula
- Euripedes Pants
- Shit Sherlock
- Various Artists, It Came Frumunda (1993, self-release)
- Euripedes Pants, Way Up Off In There (1996, Sweatbox)
- Sangre de Toro, Hold Yer Breath (1998, self-release)
- Various Artists, Bands That Begin With the Letter "S" (1999, Sweatbox)
- Sangre de Toro, El Pee (2000, self-release)
- Various Artists, Diggy Diggy Die (2000, Rubble)
- Various Artists, "Diggy Diggy Dead" (2005, Rubble)
- Ministry, Greatest Fits (2001, Warner)
- Ye Olde Castletons, In Like With Love (2001, Kranzke)
- Ministry, Animositisomina (2003, Sanctuary)
- Taxi Crab Nebula, s/t (2003, self-release)
- Naugahyde Dream Sequence, s/t (2003, self-release)
- Pink Anvil, Halloween Party (2003, Ipecac)
- Ministry, Houses of the Molé (2004, Sanctuary)
- Areola 51, s/t (2004, Dead Teenager)
- Insect Sex Act, Act 1 (2006, Stacked)
- Max Brody, "Passout ep" (2007, Stacked)
- Max Brody, "Brody Meets Spasm" (2007, self-release)
- Shit Sherlock, "The Ballad of St. Crespi" (2010, self-release)
- Pink Anvil, "New Years Eve Party" (2008, Stacked)
- Suffer Robot, "s/t" (2007, self release)
- Areola 51, "The Double-D Sides", (2009, Stacked)
- Shit Sherlock, "Hans Pretzilrod" (2011, self-release)
- Max Brody, "Guilty Pleasure, Vol.1" (2012, self release)
- Max Brody, "Smitty" (2012, self release)
- http://www.maxbrodyworld.weebly.com is The official site for Max Brody.