Manny Lehman (computer scientist)
January 24, 1925|
|Died||December 29, 2010
Ministry of Defense (Israel)
Imperial College London
|Alma mater||Imperial College London|
|Thesis||Parallel Arithmetic Units and Their Control (1957)|
|Doctoral advisor||K. D. Tocher|
|Doctoral students||Peter G. Harrison|
|Known for||Lehman's laws of software evolution|
|Notable awards||Harlan D. Mills Award (2001)|
|Spouse||Chava Robinson (m. 1953)|
Meir "Manny" Lehman, FREng (January 24, 1925 – December 29, 2010) was a professor in the School of Computing Science at Middlesex University. From 1972 to 2002 he was a Professor and Head of the Computing Department at Imperial College London. His research contributions include the early realization of the software evolution phenomenon and the eponymous Lehman's laws of software evolution.
Lehman was born in Germany on January 24, 1925, and emigrated to England in 1931. He studied mathematics as an undergraduate at Imperial College London where he was involved in the design of the Imperial College Computing Engine's Digital Computer Arithmetic Unit. He spent a year at Ferranti in London before working at Israel's Ministry of Defense from 1957 to 1964. From 1964 to 1972 he worked at IBM's research division in Yorktown Heights, NY where he studied program evolution with Les Belady. The study of IBM's programming process gave the foundations for Lehman's laws of software evolution. In 1972 he returned to Imperial College where he was Head of Section and later Head of Department (1979–1984). Lehman remained at Imperial for some thirty years until 2002 when he moved to the School of Computing Science at Middlesex University. After retiring from Middlesex he moved to Jerusalem, Israel, where he died on December 29, 2010.
Awards and honors
- Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (1989)
- Fellow of the ACM (1994)
- Harlan D. Mills Award (2001)
- "Meir M. Lehman: An Interview Conducted by William Aspray". IEEE History Center. 23 September 1993. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- Cook, Stephen; Harrison, Rachel; Lehman, Meir M.; Wernick, Paul (November 2005). "Evolution in software systems: foundations of the SPE classification scheme". Journal of Software Maintenance and Evolution: Research and Practice (John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.) 18 (1): 1–35. doi:10.1002/smr.314.
- Canfora, G.; Dalcher, D.; Raffo, D.; Basili, V. R.; Fernández-Ramil, J.; Rajlich, V. C.; Bennett, K.; Burd, L.; Munro, M.; Drossopoulou, S.; Boehm, B.; Eisenbach, S.; Michaelson, G.; Dalcher, D.; Ross, P.; Wernick, P. D.; Perry, D. E. (2011). "In memory of Manny Lehman, 'Father of Software Evolution'". Journal of Software Maintenance and Evolution: Research and Practice 23 (3): 137. doi:10.1002/smr.537.
- Gay, Hannah (2007). The history of Imperial College London, 1907-2007. Imperial College Press. p. 562. ISBN 978-1-86094-708-7. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- "Prof Manny Lehman, FREng". Debrett's. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- Gay, Hannah (2007). The history of Imperial College London, 1907-2007. World Scientific. p. 291. ISBN 1-86094-709-3.
- "ACM Fellow Profile for Meir M. (Manny) Lehman". ACM. 2007-05-31. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- Susan Eisenbach (February 4, 2011). "Obituary: Professor Manny Lehman". Reporter (Imperial College London). Retrieved May 4, 2011.
- "ACM Fellows". ACM. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Past recipients for Harlan D. Mills Award". IEEE Computer Society. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- M.M. Lehman. "Programs, life cycles, and laws of software evolution", Proceedings of the IEEE, pages 1060–1076, September 1980
- Laszlo Belady, M. M. Lehman: A Model of Large Program Development. IBM Systems Journal 15(3): 225-252 (1976)