|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
|Founded||Fractal Design Corp (1991); Harvard Systems Corp (1987)|
|Footnotes / references
Rebranded Viewpoint Corporation in 1999
MetaCreations was a computer software company founded in 1997 by the mergers of MetaTools, Fractal Design Corporation, Ray Dream, Specular, and RTG. John Wilczak, and Mark Zimmer, headed up initial operations before Wilczak and Kai Krause left the company in 1998 and 1999 respectively.
MetaCreations was best known for its graphics applications, notably Ray Dream Studio/Infini D, Fractal Design Painter, Bryce, and Kai's Power Tools. In 1999 MetaCreations invested itself heavily in the newly developed '3d on the Web' technology "MetaStream" and began restructuring from graphics applications to Internet technology. MetaCreations formed a subsidiary company called MetaStream, acquired Viewpoint Digital, and ultimately merged all operations together to become the Viewpoint Corporation. The newly formed Viewpoint Corporation divested itself of all former MetaCreations graphics products to push MetaStream technology. Viewpoint is now the Consumer Products division of Enliven Marketing Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: ENLV). Viewpoint’s NASDAQ stock ticker symbol changed from VWPT to ENLV to reflect the Company’s name change in January 2008.
Today the former MetaCreations is part of DG, an advertising technology company, in its Online business segment. Viewpoint Corporation was best known for the Viewpoint Media Player installed inside AIM/AOL packages to help provide better 3D visualization for product tours and configurators on the web.
- Ray Dream Studio and Specular Infini-D were succeeded by Carrara, which was sold to Eovia and subsequently acquired by DAZ 3D.
- MetaTools' Bryce was sold to Corel and subsequently acquired by DAZ 3D.
- Fractal Design's Poser was sold to Curious Labs, which was itself acquired by e-Frontier and finally Smith Micro Software.
- MetaCreations' Canoma was acquired by Adobe Systems. It was discontinued and its technology folded into other products.
- Fractal Design's Painter was acquired by Corel.
- Fractal Design's Expression reverted to its original developer, Creature House, who later sold the product to Microsoft. It is now sold as Microsoft Expression Design, part of the Microsoft Expression Studio suite.
- Kai's Photo Soap, Kai's Power Goo (later SuperGoo), and Kai's Power Show were acquired by ScanSoft, Inc.. They have been discontinued.
- In 1999 Minolta marketed the Minolta Dimâge 3D 1500, a modular digital camera based on the Minolta Dimâge EX 1500 incorporating MetaCreations' MetaFlash technlogy to achieve 3D image-capturing capabilities.
-  mprove: The Interface of Kai Krause’s Software
Notes and references
- Enliven Marketing Technologies Corporation. "Viewpoint Corporation Announces Ticker Change to "ENLV"". Retrieved 2008-04-04.
|This article about an IT-related or software-related company or corporation is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|