|First issue||May 5, 1994|
|Based in||Washington, D.C.|
Metro Weekly is a free weekly magazine for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community in Washington, D.C., U.S.A. It was first published on May 5, 1994. Metro Weekly includes national and local news, interviews with LGBT leaders and politicians, community event calendars, nightlife guides, and reviews of the District's arts and entertainment scene. The website's Scene section has archived over 100,000 original photos from Washington's LGBT community events. Published every Thursday with copies available for pick-up at 500 locations throughout the metropolitan area, Metro Weekly is read by more than 45,000 people in D.C., Maryland, and Virginia.
Metro Weekly and its publisher, Randy Shulman, received 18 ViceVersa Awards from the QSyndicate in 1998 which included Best News Interview or Personality Profile. In 2007, One In Ten gave an award to Metro Weekly as "the community’s event and entertainment bible, for their newspaper's consistent and enthusiastic support of lgbt arts." In 2008 the magazine was honored for empowering the Asian/Pacific Islander GLBT community by Pride and Heritage. Co-publisher Sean Bugg was honored as a 2008 Capital Pride Hero, and co-publisher Randy Shulman was awarded Male Business Person of the Year by the Capital Area Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce. He was also honored with a spot on Washington Life magazine's list of "The Power 100" for the magazine's media influence as the "nation’s largest LGBT arts publication."
In April 2009, Metro Weekly and Sean Bugg launched the magazine's own ceremony for the Next Generation Awards, a recognition of the efforts of LGBT activists under the age of 30. The Awards are now part of the Next Generation Leadership Foundation.
- Randy Shulman, Publisher
- Randy Shulman, Editor-in-Chief
- Todd Franson, Art Director
- Justin Snow, Political Editor
- John Riley, News and Business Editor
- Rhuaridh Marr, Assistant Editor
- Doug Rule, Contributing Editor
- Julian Vankim, Production Assistant/Senior Photographer
- Ward Morrison, Senior Photographer
- David Uy, Webmaster
- Christian Gerard, Contributing Writer
- Troy Petenbrink, Contributing Writer
- Kate Wingfield, Contributing Writer
- Christopher Cunetto/Cunetto Creative, Brand Strategy and Marketing
- Honor Roll, retrieved 2007-07-13
- Last Year's Awards, retrieved 2007-07-13
- 2007 Spring Gala: Thanks, and Congratulations, retrieved 2007-07-13
- Honored with Pride: Metro Weekly honored for coverage, Metro Weekly, retrieved 2008-08-15
- 2008 Capital Pride Heroes, retrieved 2009-04-22
- CAGLCC's Annual Dinner a Huge Success, retrieved 2009-04-22
- 2009 Metro Weekly Next Generation Awards, Metro Weekly, retrieved 2009-04-22
- Next Generation Leadership Foundation, Next Generation Leadership Foundation, retrieved 2015-02-05
|This article about a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender related magazine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.
|This article about a Washington, D.C. newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|