|Occupation||Photographer, film producer|
|Known for||Former personal assistant to Tom Cruise|
Michael Doven is an American professional photographer who has also worked in the production of several Hollywood movies. He photographed professional golfer Rick Rhoden. Doven's work in film started as personal assistant and chief of staff to Tom Cruise. Doven received film credits as Cruise's assistant in Far and Away, A Few Good Men, The Firm, and Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles.
Doven was credited as Production Associate in Cruise's 1999 film Magnolia. He subsequently served in an increased capacity as Associate Producer on the 2000 film Mission: Impossible II, the 2001 film Vanilla Sky, the 2002 film Minority Report, and the 2003 film The Last Samurai. He married a fellow assistant to Cruise, Andrea Morse, the daughter of actor Robert Morse.
Michael Doven is a photographer, and film producer. Subjects photographed by Doven have included singer/songwriter and younger sister of musician Beck, Alyssa Suede, professional golfers Rick Rhoden, and Randy Leen. In April 1985, Doven finished 434th in the Boston Marathon. After competing as an ironman, Doven subsequently appeared on a video Tough Stuff in 1988 by J2 Communications. On the video Tough Stuff along with actress Tracy Scoggins, American football player Marcus Allen, Mexican boxer Carlos Palomino, and volleyball athlete Randy Stoklus, Doven helped to illustrate the techniques of a workout system called "plyometrics". Scroggins explained to The Toronto Star that the plyometrics workout system was developed in the Soviet Union, and commented, "It's a tough workout that men will enjoy, not just women, but it can be done by anyone."
Personal assistant to Tom Cruise
Doven has served as a personal assistant to actor Tom Cruise. Cruise referred to Doven as the "Dovenator", and he also served as Cruise's chief of staff. In this capacity, Doven sometimes called Church of Scientology leader David Miscavige on Cruise's behalf. On the set of A Few Good Men, Cruise demanded that employees working on the film crew refer to Doven as "the communicator". According to an individual who worked on the movie crew for A Few Good Men, Doven carried supplies for Cruise called the "bat utility belt", which included bottled water and a cell phone. Doven's responsibilities included keeping Cruise's "lines" clear and maintaining the actor's drive towards his acting and his faith.
Doven met a fellow assistant to Cruise, Andrea Morse, and they subsequently married. Andrea Morse is the daughter of actor Robert Morse. Doven's wife reached the Operating Thetan level of OT VI, in 2000. She received film credits as Production Associate on movies starring Tom Cruise's then-wife Nicole Kidman, including Eyes Wide Shut, Portrait of a Lady and Practical Magic. Cruise included Doven in family outings, often taking him along for trips with his son Connor Cruise. Doven was the only individual from Cruise's entourage to accompany the actor on a 2002 trip to NASA to meet with astronauts on the Space Shuttle program. Doven had an acting film role in Cruise's Eyes Wide Shut, directed by Stanley Kubrick, in addition to serving in a film production capacity on the movie.
Doven began to take on more influential film production roles in Cruise's movies – serving as Production Associate on the 1999 film Magnolia. He subsequently served in an increased capacity as Associate Producer on the 2000 film Mission: Impossible II, the 2001 film Vanilla Sky, the 2002 film Minority Report, and the 2003 film The Last Samurai. Doven accompanied Cruise's family when they stayed in Taranaki, New Zealand during film production of The Last Samurai. Doven and his wife were not invited to Cruise's 2006 wedding to Katie Holmes in Rome, Italy, and neither of the Dovens have subsequently had film credits on movies relating to Cruise since the wedding.
In 2010, Doven confronted former Scientology executive Mark Rathbun in Texas regarding John Brousseau, a former Sea Org staff member who had fled Scientology headquarters and had sought Rathbun's assistance.
Marc Headley, a former Sea Org staff member at the international headquarters, has stated that Michael Doven and his wife Andrea were routinely interrogated by Church officials regarding Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman.
|1992||Far and Away||Set assistant to Tom Cruise||Ron Howard|
|A Few Good Men||Assistant to Tom Cruise||Rob Reiner|
|1993||The Firm||Assistant to Tom Cruise||Sydney Pollack|
|1994||Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles||Assistant to Tom Cruise||Neil Jordan|
|1996||Mission: Impossible||Production Associate||Brian De Palma|
|Jerry Maguire||Assistant to Tom Cruise||Cameron Crowe|
|1999||Eyes Wide Shut||Production Associate||Stanley Kubrick|
|Magnolia||Production Associate||Paul Thomas Anderson|
|2000||Mission: Impossible II||Associate Producer||John Woo|
|2001||Vanilla Sky||Associate Producer||Cameron Crowe|
|2002||Minority Report||Associate Producer||Steven Spielberg|
|2003||The Last Samurai||Associate Producer||Edward Zwick|
|2004||Collateral||Associate Producer||Michael Mann|
|2015||The Out of Town Wedding||Producer|
|1989||Murder, She Wrote||Joey||Ep. # 5.22|
|1999||Eyes Wide Shut||Ziegler's Secretary||Production Associate, on same film|
- Morton, Andrew (2008). Tom Cruise: An Unauthorized Biography. New York: St. Martin's Press. pp. 167–168, 198, 237. ISBN 0-312-94337-7.
- Sharon Beth (August 8, 2011). "Michael Doven World Class Photographer Interview". BlogTalkRadio. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- "Genuine Suede – Beck's sister follows her own musical path". Ventura County Star. November 13, 2008. p. Section: Time Out.
- Friedman, Lester D. (2006). Citizen Spielberg. University of Illinois Press. p. 330. ISBN 0-252-07358-4.
- Willis, John; Barry Monush (2005). Screen World Volume 55: 2004. Applause Books. p. 159. ISBN 1-55783-638-8.
- Painter, Jill (May 30, 2007). "Rhoden: All-star to pro golfer". Daily News of Los Angeles. p. S2.
- Dolch, Craig (June 6, 2007). "Ultimate challenge". The Palm Beach Post (Palm Beach Newspapers, Inc.). p. 8C.
- "The top 500 finishers in 89th Marathon". Boston Globe (Globe Newspaper Company). April 16, 1985. p. 34.
- "A good week for music videotapes". The Fresno Bee. September 4, 1988. p. F15.
- Wong, Tony (November 13, 1988). "Scoggins gets tough with Rambo-style exercise tape". The Toronto Star (Toronto Star Newspapers Limited). p. C6.
- Mangan, John (July 26, 2009). "What Kate did next". The Age (Fairfax Digital). Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- Friedman, Roger (August 19, 2008). "Isaac Hayes' Strange Funerals". Fox News Channel (Fox News Network, LLC). Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- Lurie, Rod (October 1, 1993). "Tom Cruise: No more Mr. Nice Guy". Los Angeles magazine (Emmis Communications).
- Zekas, Rita (March 13, 1994). "Scene: Trendy Italian eatery Splendido, accustomed to serving a creme ...". The Toronto Star (Toronto Star Newspapers Limited). p. E2.
- "New OT VI Hubbard Solo Nots Auditing Course". Source (Church of Scientology) (130). July 2000.
- Friedman, Roger (December 1, 2006). "TomKat Wedding, Part 2 on Its Way". Fox News Channel (Fox News Network, LLC). Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- Dickerson, James L. (2003). Nicole Kidman. Citadel. p. 195. ISBN 0-8065-2490-1.
- Schwam, Stephanie (2000). The Making of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Modern Library. p. 316. ISBN 0-375-75528-4.
- Chion, Michel (2008). Eyes Wide Shut. British Film Institute. p. 91. ISBN 978-0-85170-932-1.
- Anderson, Paul Thomas (2000). Magnolia: The Shooting Script. Newmarket Press. p. Section: Credits. ISBN 1-55704-406-6.
- Harvey, Dennis (June 4, 2000). "'M:I-2' – Flashy package disguises lack of bang". Variety (Reed Elsevier Inc.). p. 19.
- McCarthy, Todd (December 10, 2001). "Vanilla Sky". Daily Variety (Reed Elsevier Inc.). p. 2.
- McCarthy, Todd (June 30, 2002). "Serious sci-fi makes for tough pre-Cog slog". Variety (Reed Elsevier Inc.). p. 25.
- McCarthy, Todd (April 10, 2004). "War saga lapses into Cruise control – The Last Samurai". Weekly Variety (Reed Business Information).
- "So long, it's been sweet as to know you". The Dominion Post (Wellington Newspapers Limited). May 10, 2003. p. 1.
- "Cruise: Beautiful place, warm people". Taranaki Daily News (Taranaki Newspapers Limited; Fairfax Media). May 10, 2003. p. 1.
- Julie Miller (January 9, 2013). "A Wildflower Field for Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, Uniformed Beagles, and Ashtray Exercises: The Latest Claims About Scientology". Vanity Fair. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- Paul Toohey (July 8, 2012). "We must do what we can to stop President Cruise". The Punch (Australia). Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- Joe Childs and Thomas C. Tobin (13 January 2013). "FBI Scientology investigation gets a fresh witness, but hits a legal roadblock". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Reitman, Janet (2011). Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion.
- "'Apocalypto' Is More 'Mad Max' Than Mayan". Fox News. 1 December 2006. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Hughes, David; Peter Bogdanovich (2001). The Complete Kubrick. Virgin Books. p. 294. ISBN 0-7535-0452-9.
- Willis, John (2002). Screen World, Vol. 52, 2001 Film Annual. Applause Books. p. 66. ISBN 1-55783-479-2.
- Elder, Robert K. (2005). John Woo: Interviews. University Press of Mississippi. p. xxx. ISBN 1-57806-776-6.
- Willis, John; Barry Monush; Tom Lynch (2002). Screen World, Vol. 53, 2002 Film Annual. Applause Books. p. 146. ISBN 1-55783-599-3.
- Idato, Michael (June 28, 2002). "Boys in the hood – Schmooze". The Sydney Morning Herald (John Fairfax Publications Pty Limited). p. 18.
- Willis, John; Barry Monush (2004). Screen World, Vol. 54, 2003 Film Annual. Applause Books. p. 74. ISBN 1-55783-528-4.
IMdbwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
Cite error: The named reference
- Pitts, Michael R. (2004). Famous Movie Detectives III. Scarecrow Press. p. 123. ISBN 0-8108-3690-4.
- Ciment, Michel; Gilbert Adair; Robert Bononno (2003). Kubrick: The Definitive Edition. Faber & Faber. p. 316. ISBN 0-571-21108-9.
- Nelson, Thomas Allen (2000). Kubrick: Inside a Film Artist's Maze. Indiana University Press. p. 306. ISBN 0-253-21390-8.
- Ziesmer, Jerry; Tony Slide (1999). Ready When You Are, Mr. Coppola, Mr. Spielberg, Mr. Crowe. Scarecrow Press. pp. 2, 5, 7, 8. ISBN 0-8108-3657-2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Doven.|
- Michael Doven Photography, official website
- Michael Doven at AllMovie
- Michael Doven at the Internet Movie Database