June 26, 1952 |
New York, United States
|Alma mater||Harvard University
New York University
|Occupation||Writer, film critic, columnist|
Michael Sragow (born 26 June 1952 in New York) is a film critic and columnist who has written for The Orange County Register, The Baltimore Sun, The San Francisco Examiner, The New Times, The New Yorker (where he worked with Pauline Kael), The Atlantic and Salon. Sragow also edited James Agee's film essays (for the book Agee on Film), and has written or contributed to several other cinema-related books.
Sragow attended New York University and Harvard University, where he majored in history and literature. Sragow began his career at Boston Magazine, and went on to become the film critic for Rolling Stone Magazine. From 1985-1992, he was the lead film critic for The San Francisco Examiner. Commencing in 1999, he was a film critic for salon.com, and commencing in 2001, he was a film critic for The Baltimore Sun. In March, 2013 he became the first film critic in a decade for The Orange County Register in California.
In 2008, Sragow published a biography of director Victor Fleming; in his review, John Gallagher writes that Sragow's biography, "restores the director to his rightful place in film history and popular culture. It’s a fantastic read, assiduously researched, using primary archival resources and a full complement of remembrances from Fleming’s family and colleagues."
In January 2010, Sragow taught a course on "Classic American Films" at Centre College for the school's three week "Centre Term." Sragow has constantly supported British filmmaker David Yates through his online blog "Sragow Gets Reel", naming him "a big-screen master of tension, atmosphere and emotional suggestion".
- Sragow, Michael, ed. (1990). Produced and Abandoned: The Best Films You've Never Seen. National Society of Film Critics. ISBN 0-916515-84-2.
- Sragow, Michael, ed. (2005). James Agee: Film Writing and Selected Journalism. Library of America. ISBN 978-1-931082-82-2.
- Sragow, Michael, ed. (2005). James Agee: Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, A Death in the Family, Shorter Fiction. Library of America. ISBN 978-1-931082-81-5.
- Sragow, Michael (2008). Victor Fleming: An American Movie Master. Pantheon. ISBN 978-0-375-40748-2.
- Hergert, Marty and Sragow, Michael (1995). "An Interview with Michael Sragow," The Atlantic Dec. 1995. Online version retrieved Jan. 31, 2008.
- Stossel, Scott and Sragow, Michael (1994). "The State of the Cinema: An Online Conference with Michael Sragow," The Atlantic Monthly Sept. 28, 1994. Online version retrieved Jan. 31, 2008.
- Morgan, Eric (February 1, 2013). "Michael Sragow joins the Register as movie critic". The Orange County Regiser. Retrieved 2013-07-15.
- Gallagher, John (January 2009). "January 2009: Victor Fleming". National Board of Review of Motion Pictures. Retrieved 2009-08-06.
- "Centreterm 2009-2010 Courses For Non-First-Times First-Years". Centre College.
- "Brush up on Harry Potter at Hopkins and Lakefront Film Festivals". Baltimore Sun. June 10, 2011. Retrieved June 14, 2011.
- "Potter Movies' David Yates is Unsung, Great Director". Baltimore Sun. July 30, 2010. Retrieved June 14, 2011.
|This article about an American journalist born in the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|