||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009)|
|Birth name||Michel'le Toussant|
December 5, 1970 |
Compton, United States
|Origin||Compton, California, USA|
Death Row Records
|Associated acts||Dr. Dre
Michel'le Toussant (//; born December 5, 1970) better known as Michel'le, is an American R&B singer-songwriter known for her squeaky, childlike speaking voice, which is a startling contrast to her strong vocals. Michel'le is starring on the reality show R&B Divas: Los Angeles.
Toussant is an American R&B vocalist with Louisiana Creole heritage. She is known for her squeaky, childlike speaking voice which is a startling contrast to her strong singing vocals. Michel'le was originally the featured female vocalist on World Class Wreckin' Cru's 1987 single "Turn Off the Lights".
Michel'le was signed to Eazy-E's Ruthless Records. In 1989, she released her self-titled debut album, produced entirely by then-boyfriend Dr. Dre. The album contained "No More Lies" and the hit singles "Nicety" and "Something in My Heart." Michel'le sold 2.7 million copies worldwide.
During the Suge Knight shakedown incident, Eazy was forced to sign over Dr. Dre, The D.O.C. and Michel'le. In 1998, she released her second album Hung Jury on Death Row Records but it garnered little attention and no hit records. She also sung on
2Pac's song "Run Tha Streets" on his album, All Eyes On Me. Following Dr. Dre’s departure from Death Row Records, Michel’le and Dr. Dre parted ways.
Her most recent music was a contribution to the Dysfunktional Family soundtrack in 2003. She has since confirmed through several media outlets that she’s been working on new material and looking for a label for her third album.
A trailer video for Michel'le's brand new single "Freedom To Love" can be seen on YouTube.
Currently, as of 2014, Michel'le is part of the cast of TV One's R&B Divas LA.
|Year||Album||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|US Hot 100||US R&B|
|1989||"No More Lies"||7||2||Michel'le|
|"Something In My Heart"||31||2|
|1998||"Hang Tyme"||—||66||Hung Jury|
|"Can I Get a Witness?"||—||—|
|2011||"Freedom To Love"||—||91||non-album single|
- Ro, Ronin (2007). Dr. Dre: The Biography. New York City, United States: Thunder's Mouth Press. ISBN 1-56025-921-3.
- Alcorn, Jonathan (2007-06-17). "Like Knight and Day?". washingtonpost.com. p. 1. Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2010/01/10/michel_le_toussaint_suing_suge_knight_ov_1 Michel'le Toussaint Sue Suge Knight
- "Billboard Album Chart Positions". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- "Artist Chart History - Michel'le". billboard.com. Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- Michel'le at VH1.com
- Michel'le's Official website (Requires the Adobe Flash player)
- Official MySpace