|Member of the New York State Assembly
from the 16th district
|Preceded by||Thomas DiNapoli|
August 8, 1957 |
Brooklyn, New York
|Children||two: Alex, Spencer|
|Residence||Great Neck, New York|
|Alma mater||University of Pennsylvania|
|Profession||physical therapist, businesswoman, politician|
Early life and education
Schimel was born in Brooklyn, New York. In 1978, she received a B.S. degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Allied Medical Professions. She was vice president of a fashion accessories firm in Manhattan from 1982 to 1994. She also worked at North Shore University Hospital as a physical therapist and certified wound care specialist.
On March 27, 2007, she won 86 percent of the vote in a special election to replace Thomas DiNapoli who became State Comptroller. Schimel was re-elected to subsequent terms in 2008 and 2010.
She is the Co-Chair of the New York chapter of State Legislators Against Illegal Guns.
Schimel has been a resident of Great Neck, New York since 1982. She has two sons, Alex and Spencer. She and her husband, Mark Schimel, separated in 2011 after 32 years of marriage. She serves on the board of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence and in 1995 she and Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy co-founded the organization's Long Island chapter.
- "State Assembly: Michelle Schimel (D), District 16". Capitol Info. Archived from the original on March 1, 2011. Retrieved March 11, 2011.
- "Michelle Schimel: Biography". New York State Assembly. Retrieved March 11, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 4, 2008" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 4, 2008. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "Alumni Notes: 1970s". The Pennsylvania Gazette. University of Pennsylvania. Nov–Dec 1999. Retrieved March 11, 2011.
- Degrees Offered and Awarded by the University of Pennsylvania School of Allied Medical Professions (1952-1982)
- "Voters Guide 2001 / North Hempstead / Town Clerk". Newsday. November 4, 2001. p. H.05. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
Schimel, 44, is running for her second term
- "Schimel, Chisari in Race for Town Clerk". Great Neck Record. October 21, 2005. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "Husband quits race, criticizes wife". Politico. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- "Special Election Results, 16th Assembly District: March 27, 2007" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. 2007. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 2, 2010" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 13, 2010. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
|New York Assembly|
|New York State Assembly, 16th District