Mike Ward (singer)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013)|
Michael 'Mike' Ward (born in Salford, Greater Manchester in 14 December 1990) is an English singer based in Manchester who took part in UK series 2 of The Voice as part of Tom Jones' team singing mostly country music and became finalist in the last Final 4 round. Ward took part in the show after his mother Julie signed him up for the show without telling him. He auditioned with the song "Don't Close Your Eyes" from Keith Whitley, with three of the four judges, Jessie J, Danny O'Donoghue and Sir Tom Jones turning their chairs. He opted to be in "Team Tom" and was his team's finalist in the competition singing "Suspicious Minds" solo and "Green Green Grass of Home" with Tom Jones. As a result of the public vote, he and Leah McFall were runners up, with the title going to Andrea Begley. Throughout the series, he was credited for trying to get country music get noticed in the UK.
Ward is a cousin of British The X Factor winner Shayne Ward in the 2nd series of the show. He was working as a joiner, but had lost his job and was unemployed for 6 months when he applied to The Voice. He is the son of Julie Berry and Michael Ward whom he is named after, Mike has 4 siblings, his brothers Darren and Daryl (his seniors) and brother John and sister Maria (his juniors), Mike has Irish Traveller roots on his father's side, Mike's grandmother died while filming the show's live episodes.
On 24th December, Mike's father Michael Ward was a victim of a hit and run with his girlfriend (Paula Jolly) outside an ASDA store in Manchester. Paula died at the scene and Michael died in hospital hours after.
|Song title||UK release date||UK peak
|"When I Was Your Man"||
|"Picking Up the Pieces"||
- Radio Times: The Voice UK 2013 finalists: Mike Ward
- The Sun: You made that one yourself - Ex-joiner Mike nails it on The Voice
- The Daily Mirror: The Voice 2013: Shayne Ward's cousin Mike Ward shows off his lovely smooth vocals on Saturday's show
- UnrealityTV: The Voice 2013: Shayne Ward’s cousin Mike Ward picks between Tom Jones, Jessie J & Danny at blind auditions
- Manchester Evening News: The Voice star's champagne homecoming
- Daily Mail: Mother-of-five and her boyfriend killed after hit-and-run crash outside Asda store
- "MIKE WARD". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 24 June 2013.