||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (October 2012)|
|Traded as||BSE: 517140
|Industry||Optical storage media, Solid state media (Flash based memory), Content Replication, Photovoltaic cell and module manufacturing, EPC for solar farms, Home entertainment|
|Founded||1983 New Delhi, India|
|Headquarters||New Delhi, India|
|Deepak Puri, Founder & CMD|
|Products||DVD +/- R : dual and single layer,CD-R, Mini CDR and DVDR, Platinum DVDR/CDR, Inkjet Printable DVDR/ CDR, Rewritable Discs ( RW), Light scribe Discs, Blu-ray Discs, Perfumed DVDRs, USB Pen Drives, Flash cards, PV cells, PV modules, Movie DVDs|
Moser Baer India Limited (known as: Moser Baer) headquartered in New Delhi, is a leading global tech-manufacturing company. Established in 1983, the company is one of the world's largest manufacturers of Optical Storage media like CDs and DVDs. Every 5th disc manufactured globally belongs to Moser Baer and it is the lowest cost optical media manufacturer in the world. The company was also the first to market storage formats like Blu-ray discs and HD-DVD in India.
Over the years the company has entered the areas of solid-state media (pen drives and flash memory cards), content replication, home entertainment and photovoltaics. It is the only company worldwide to receive the 5-star rating from TÜV Rheinland for 3 years in a row maintaining high standards of quality in manufacturing PV modules.
The company has a presence in over 100 countries, serviced through 15 marketing offices and representatives in India, US, Europe, Japan, Russia, Ukraine, Egypt, Argentina, Chile, Malaysia and has tie-ups with many global optical media storage business manufacturers. The company's products are being sold to more than 82 countries.
Its products are manufactured at its three manufacturing facilities located in the suburbs of New Delhi employing over 8,000 employees. Through its wholly owned subsidiaries, the company manufactures photovoltaic cells and modules using crystalline silicon and thin film technologies.
Moser Baer India was founded in New Delhi in 1983 as a Time Recorder unit in technical collaboration with Maruzen Corporation, Japan and Moser Baer Sumiswald, Switzerland.
In 1988, Moser Baer India moved into the data storage industry by commencing manufacturing of 5.25-inch Floppy Diskettes. By 1993, it graduated to manufacturing 3.5-inch Micro Floppy Diskettes (MFD).
In 1999, Moser Baer India set up a 150-million unit capacity plant to manufacture Recordable Compact Disks (CD-Rs) and Recordable Digital Versatile Disks (DVD-Rs). The strategy for the optical media project was identical to what had successfully been implemented in the diskette business - creating a facility that matched global standards in terms of size, technology, quality, product flexibility and process integration. The company is today the only large Indian manufacturer of magnetic and optical media data storage products, exporting approximately 85 percent of its production.
Since inception, Moser Baer has always endeavored to keep up low costs, high margins, high profits, reinvestment and capacity growth. Along the way, relationships have been forged with leading OEMs, with the result that today there are hardly any global technology brands in the optical media segment that Moser Baer is not associated with.
In 2006, the company announced its foray into the Photovoltaic and Home entertainment businesses.
- 1983-Year of Incorporation
- 1985-Production of 8.0"/5.25" disks
- 1987-Production of 3.5" disks
- 1998-ISO 9002 certification
- 1999-Production of CD-Rs
- 2000-Production of CD-RWs
- 2002-Completely Integrated Manufacturing
- 2003-Production of DVD-R and DVD-RW,ISO Certification for all Facilities, launch of 'Moser Baer' Brand in Indian Market, signed one of Largest Outsourcing Deals in Indian manufacturing
- 2004-'Lightscribe' Deal with HP, HP Deal for India and SAARC Region, contributing member of Blu-ray Disk Association
- 2005-ISO 14001 & OHSAS 18001 certification for Moser Baer plants, commencement of Phase III of Greater Noida Plant, announced Moser Baer Photovoltaic Ltd as it's wholly owned subsidiary, received status of SEZ developer from Govt. of India, announced a wholly owned subsidiary-Moser Baer SEZ, signed MoU with IIT, Delhi
- 2006-The first company in the world to start volume shipments of HD DVD-R, signed Technology MoU with IT BHU, patented technology approved by the Blu-ray Disc Association, in-house R&D Centre approved by Ministry of Science and Technology, launched USB Flash drives, forayed into entertainment space, enters Home Video market
- 2007-Acquired OM&T BV - a Philips' optical technology and R&D subsidiary, announced start of trial run of solar photovoltaic cell production facility, set up the world's largest Thin Film Solar Fab, launched US$150 mn FCCBs, Moser Baer Photo Voltaic announced commercial shipment of solar photovoltaic cells, Moser Baer Photo Voltaic announced US$880 million strategic sourcing tie-up with REC Group
- 2008-Moser Baer plans 600 MW Thin Film PV capacity with an estimated investment of over $ 1.5 bn, Moser Baer Photo Voltaic announces strategic sourcing tie-up with LDK Solar, announcement of successful trials of first Gen 8.5 Thin Film plant, Moser Baer gets the coveted Blu-ray product verification, Moser Baer signs exclusive home video licensing deal with UTV Motion Pictures, Moser Baer launches a digital video processing facility in Chennai, Moser Baer secures customer sales orders of $500 million for solar modules, Global investors inject Rs. 411 crore into Moser Baer's solar photovoltaic business, Moser Baer announces successful trials of first Gen 8.5 Thin Film plant, Moser Baer Photo Voltaic announces strategic sourcing tie-up with LDK Solar, Moser Baer plans 600 MW Thin Film PV capacity with an estimated investment of over $ 1.5 bn
- 2009-Moser Baer’s thin film solar modules are now IEC certified, Moser Baer to set up one of India’s largest rooftop solar PV installations in Surat, thin film line ready for production of ultra-large solar modules
- 2010-Moser Baer is among the few players to achieve world's highest single junction Thin Film module efficiency of 7.3% through its proprietary process, increasing the module wattage from 340 watt/panel to 400 watt/panel, Moser Baer launches micro SD Cards and content loaded drives, launch of e-commerce website offering Moser Baer products, joins hands with leading entertainment players to form an Anti-Piracy Coalition
- 2011-Commences production of YUKITA brand junction boxes in partnership with Yukita Electro for solar PV modules at its Plant in Greater Noida, sets up a PV reliability laboratory to study quality and reliability aspects of Crystalline Silicon and Thin Film PV modules, emerges as the first Indian Solar PV company to achieve installation of 100 MW under its own brand, commissioning of Moser Baer India's first 5MW Thin Film solar farm in Tamil Nadu, awarded a grant by MNER towards development of innovative CIGS solar cell technology, launches 'world's slimmest' USB flash Drive, Moser Baer Technologies and Universal Display Corporation announced technology and licensing agreement for energy efficient white OLED lighting, Moser Baer signs a MoU with C-MET Pune for R&D on "Hybrid Solar Cells based on Organic Polymers and Inorganic Nano particles"]
At Moser Baer, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is the way to conduct business that achieves a balance or integration of economic, environmental and social imperatives while at the same time addressing stakeholder expectations. Under its CSR policy, the company affirms its commitment of seamless integration of marketplace, workplace, and environment and community concerns with business operations. Moser Baer uses CSR as an integral business process in order to support sustainable development and constantly endeavors to be a good corporate citizen and enhance its performance on the triple bottom line.
Moser Baer Trust, a Community Development wing of Moser Baer India Limited, (MBIL) is a registered entity under the Indian Trust Act, 1883, and forms a part of the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) department of MBIL. The CSR initiatives of Moser Baer have aimed at integrating the economic, environmental and social imperatives along with its stakeholder expectations for ensuring sustainability of development interventions.
In its initial years, MBT provided health service to the nearby villages. With the passage of time MBT shifted from service delivery to sustainability and empowerment. MBT has observed an organic growth in its operations and has been involved in designing and implementing need-based programs. Since then, MBT has been focusing on developmental issues like Education, Youth development, Health, and Livelihood for the targeted population. The areas of intervention for MBT have been villages adjoining the MBIL plants.
The MBT has its direct interventions in villages Kakrala, Aagar, Tilapta, Surajpur and Nagla villages at present. However, it has profoundly impacted the lives of the marginalized of 118 villages of Noida and Greater Noida through its employability skills development program, in collaboration with CAP Foundation. The MBT has also moved beyond rural boundaries by advocating contemporary burning issues of global warming and preservation of cultural heritage through its program CineArt. Under this program, 1000 children from 21 schools both from public schools to private schools and the NGO-based were encouraged to participate and later on they developed small films on “Our World”. While community development initiatives have benefited all sections of society, MBT has stressed action on development of youth since they are indispensable in sustaining any change process.
MBIL share price has dropped to 5 rupees in 2013 against 400 rupees in 2008.
Moser Baer joined UN Global Compact in April 2008. The company remains committed to align its operations and strategies with the ten UN global compact principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption. As a part of its commitment and adherence to the UNGC guidelines MB submits progress reports regularly.
Certifications & Recognition
- MBIL certification of ISO 14001:2004 for environment management audited by DNV / TUV Rheinland.
- MBIL secured OHSAS 18001:2007 standards for Health & Safety Management audited by DNV/ TUV Rheinland.
- MBIL is one of the very few companies to get SA-8000 certification for being socially accountable approved by SAI.
- Sony Green Partner Certification for product environmental management system from Sony Japan securing 96.5% -- highest score ever for any company audited by Sony worldwide.
- First in India to receive Phytosanitary Certificate for Forced Hot Air Treatment facility from Government of India Ministry of Agriculture with permanent code no IN-001-HT valid in International Market
- Recipient of "Best of all" Rajiv Gandhi National Quality Award in 2005
- Recipient of the Golden Peacock Award for Eco-innovation 2008.
- Amity HR Excellence Award for Best Corporate Social Responsibility
- Karmayog Corporate Social Responsibility Rating 2010
- "Moser Baer Launches Biometric Pen Drives To Strengthen Data Security". RTT News. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- SHRAWAN (2013-05-29). "ANNEX IV: LIST OF AWARD WINNERS OF RAJIV GANDHI NATIONAL QUALITY AWARDS". http://www.bis.org.in. New Delhi: Bureau of Indian Standards. Retrieved 2014-05-15.