National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research
|National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research|
|Formation||25 May 1998|
|Headquarters||Vasco da Gama, Goa|
|Director In-charge||Dr. S. Rajan|
|Main organ||Governing Council|
The National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research (NCAOR) is an Indian research and development institution, and an autonomous Institution of the Department of Ocean Development (DOD), Government of India. Situated at Vasco, Goa, it is responsible for administering the Indian Antarctic Program and maintains the Indian government's Antarctic research station, Maitri. NCAOR was established on 25 May 1998, with Dr. P C Pandey as its founding director. At present NCAOR is an agency working under Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India since 2006, by the notification President of India.
As well as serving as the Indian government's nodal organization for co-ordinating Antarctic, Arctic and Ocean studies, NCAOR also offers research opportunities that allow scholars to pursue a PhD degree in conjunction with University of Goa and the Mangalore University.
The agency is home to a special low-temperature laboratory complex for the storage of ice core samples, not only from Antarctica but also from the Himalayan Mountains. NCAOR is also setting up a National Antarctic Data Centre and a Polar Museum.
NCAOR also manages the Oceanic Research Vessel ORV Sagar Kanya, the flagship of India's fleet of oceanographic study vessels. This ship has contributed immensely[vague] to India's study of the Arabian Sea, the Bay of Bengal, and the Indian Ocean. NCAOR is known for its participation in global experiments, hosting of international conferences and in the leadership of international committees concerned with Antarctic science.
- 10th Foundation day of NCAOR Dr. P C Pandey stated as Founder and Former Director
- “Dr. Prem Chand Pandey, Emeritus Profesor, Ph.D (Allahabad University), Founder Director NCAOR GOA, INDIA. Centre for Oceans, Rivers, Atmosphere and Land Sciences IIT Kharagpur Faculty Page
- Allahabad Registered(1860)Alumni Association-Proud Past Dr. P. C. Pandey, NCAOR Founder Director
- Antarctica team to leave on Friday. The Times of India, 12 December 2003, Prem Chand Pandey Director NCAOR at the Time.
- Mission Antarctica. Frontline, December 04–17, 2004, Dr. P C Pandey Founder Director NCAOR
- Sagar Kanya begins Indian Ocean expedition to study tsunami impact. The Hindu, 7 January 2005, Dr. Prem Chand Pandey Founder Director NCAOR
- Reaching the final frontier. Frontline, 25 October–7 November 2003, Dr. Prem Chand Pandey Founding Director National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research(NCAOR)
- Shri Kapil Sibal, Honourable Minister of State (Independent Charge), S&T and Ocean Development visited Antarctica from 2nd to 4th of February 2005, the first ever visit by an Indian Minister. Dr. Prem Chand Pandey, the then Director, National Centre for Antarctic & Ocean Research(NCAOR) was one of the member of the delegation as on DOD Web Page.
- http://ncaor-arctic.ncaor.org:5050/website/index.html NCAOR Arctic Research
- "came in existence with joining P C Pandey as Centre Director". (PDF) Antarctic Study Centre came in existence with Dr. Pandey