Prem Chand Pandey
|Prem Chand Pandey|
Prem Chand Pandey is addressing the Workshop at CORAL, IIT Kharagpur, December, 2010
10 August 1945 |
Ramapur, Phulpur, Azamgarh District, Uttar Pradesh, India (then in the United Provinces of British India)
|Fields||Space Science, Planetary Scientist, Climate-Satellites, Polar-Remote Sensing|
|Institutions||Space Applications Centre
Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
Ministry of Earth Sciences
|Alma mater||University of Allahabad|
|Doctoral advisor||S. L. Srivastava|
|Known for||Polar-Remote Sensing
Bhaskara Satellite series
ISRO's past and future mission such as OCEANSAT and CLIMATESAT Ocean-Satellite, Indian Remote Sensing satellite, Climate-Satellite, and Indian Antarctic Program
|Notable awards||NASA Certificate of Recognition and Cash Award
Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award
Vigyan Gaurav Award
Education and career
Pandey obtained his Masters and Bachelor's degrees in Electronics and science respectively from Allahabad University, Allahabad. He completed his D.Phil. degree from the same university (on microwaves) in 1972.
In 1966, Pandey became a lecturer in DAV Degree college, Azamgarh. From 1968 to 1972 he was Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Research Fellow at the microwave research laboratory of the Department of Physics, University of Allahabad, and from 1973 to 1977 a research officer at the Central Water and Power Research Station, Khadakwasla. In 1977 he joined the Space Applications Centre(SAC)/ ISRO, Ahmedabad and became the founder head of the Oceanic Sciences Division/ Meteorology and Oceanography Group/ Remote Sensing Applications Area (OSD/ MOG/ RESA). He worked for the next twenty years at SAC. In the 1980s he was also a research associate at the NASA - Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, where he worked on the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite and SEASAT programs. During 1997-2005, he was the founding director of the National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research (NCAOR)/Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), Goa. At the initiative of Murali Manohar Joshi he founded the K. Banerjee Centre of Atmospheric and Ocean Studies (KBCAOS) to initiate the Atmospheric and Ocean Science Studies in Allahabad University which is now full-fledged faculty academic centre of Allahabad University. He was Visiting Professor at Center for Ocean, River, Atmosphere and Land Sciences (CORAL), IIT Kharagpur (IIT-Kgp) since 2005 to 2007 and also he was an Emeritus Professor at IIT-Kgp's same center since 2007 to August, 2011, where he played key role in establishment of the CORAL. Currently he joined as a Professor at School of Earth, Ocean and Climate Sciences, IIT Bhubaneswar with effect from 1 September 2011.
Awards and recognitions
- Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, India, Indian Meteorological Society, Indian Academy of Sciences, Society of Earth Science India,Indian Geophysical Union, Indian Society of Remote Sensing, Dehradun (1999). Indian Society for Mathematical Modelling and Computer Simulation  and Geological Society of India, Bangalore.
- Certificate of Recognition and Cash Award-1985 by NASA.
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology Award in Earth Sciences (1989) given by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) for outstanding scientific contributions
- Vigyan Gaurav Award awarded by the Council of Science and Technology, Government of Uttar Pradesh (2001–02)
- Prof. K. R. Ramanathan Memorial Gold Medal awarded by the Indian Geophysical Union (2007)
- Bharat Gaurav Award in the field of Science and Technology by India International Friendship Society (2001)
- Shri Om Prakash Bhasin Awards in Engineering Including Energy and Aero Space 2004-2005
- Hari Om Ashram Prerit Dr. Vikram Sarabhai Award and Gold medal in the field of Atmospheric Sciences and Hydrology, in 1987 (first recipient in ISRO)
- D.Sc. (Hornoris Causa) from V B. S. Purvanchal University, Jaunpur
- Khosla National Award, Gold Medal and Citation by Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, during convocation Ceremony, 15 November 2007
- The Rekha Nandi and Bhupesh Nandi Prize from the Institution of Engineers (India)
- Felicitation by Shri Kapil Sibal, Honorable Minister for S/T and Ocean Development, for outstanding achievements in Polar Science & Ocean Science and Technology, on 27 July 2004, on DOD (MoES) foundation Day.
- An Honor of "Proud Past Alumni" in the list of 42 members, from "Allahabad University Alumni Association", NCR, Ghaziabad (Greater Noida) Chapter 2007-2008 registered under society act 1860 with registration no. 407/2000.
Membership in special national and international expert committees/ bodies (past/present)
- IIT Kharagpur Nominee : Ocean Atmospheric Science and Technology Cell of MoES 
- Advisory Board Member, Text Books for Higher Education : The Energy Research Institute, New Delhi 
- Member of the Working Group on Promotion of Radar Meteorology, in Kolkata : India Meteorological Department, New Delhi 
- Member, ISRO-CNES Joint Working Group : Indian Space Research Organisation, Bangalore 
- Chairman, National Advisory Committee, to set up School of Earth Ocean and Climate Sciences : Indian Institute of Technology Bhubaneswar 
- Member, Joint Scientific Working Group of SAC-ISRO, for SARAL Mission
- Chairman, Research Advisory Committee of Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune
- Member, Governing Council, IITM, Pune.
- Honorary Professor, Goa University
- Member, Academic Council, Goa University (Governor’s Nominee).
- Member : (Visitor’s Nominee )Selection Committee for Earth Sciences in Pondicherry University (A Central University).
- Adjunct Professor at BITS (Goa Region) (up to 2007).
- Member, Special Advisory committee, School of Environmental Science Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), Delhi
- Chairman, National Academy of Sciences, India, Kharagpur local Chapter
- Member, Research Advisory Committee of Center of Atmospheric Sciences (CAS) of IIT Delhi.
- Member, Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC), Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi.
- Scientist Member, Governing Council of IITM, Pune.
- Member, Governing Council, Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS), Hyderabad
- Member, Programme Advisory Committee on DST on Atmospheric Science/ Glaciology.
- Member, NNRMS Oceanography, Programme of ISRO.
- Vice Chairman of OSTC Cell of DOD at Mangalore/ Tamil University.
- Member, High Power Ministerial delegation led by Hon Shri Kapil Sibal to Antarctica.
- Delegate/ Member (International), in SCAR, CEP, ATCM, COMNAP/ SCALOP, ICSU, PGIPY-2007-08,
- Fellowship Award Committee of SCAR, U.K. (1997–2005)
- Member, ICSU/WMO committee for International Polar Year (IPY) framework documents preparation.
- Chairman, High Power Committee set up by Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), GOI to Review NCAOR’S activities, 2008.
- Chairman, Indian Society of Remote Sensing, Ahmedabad Chapter (1994–96)
- Vice President, Indian Soc. of Remote Sensing, (2002–04)
- Vice President, India Meteorological Society (1991–93)
- Patron, Antarctic Society, Hyderabad
- President (sectional); Environmental Science Section, Indian Science Congress Association, 2006-7.
- Also remained member of Executive Council of the Indian Geophysical Union (1991–1993).
Pandey has published more than 134 research papers, 7 books, 9 reports and 4 Atlases has guided 11 PhDs. He has also edited a number of journals like Marine Geodesy, Indian Journal of Polar Science, 2008 and the Remote Sensing section in Mausam, the quarterly research journal of India Meteorological Department. He has been a member of the editorial board of the Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics (IJRSP), Indian Journal of Marine Science, India (1995–2000), Vayu Mandal, Bulletin of Indian Meteorological Society, (1995–1996), Proceedings of Indian Academics (Physical Sciences) and the Journal of Indian Society of Remote Sensing (2006).
- Advances in Marine and Antarctic Science, with Dinabandhu Sahoo. APH Publishing, 2002. ISBN 81-7648-347-8. Excerpts
- India in the Antarctic: Scientific and Geopolitical Perspectives, with Sanjay Chaturvedi, Neloy Khare, Centre for the Study of Geopolitics, National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, India. 2005. ISBN 81-7003-287-3.
- Dharati Se Pare Antariksha Tak: Vigyan Ki Pahal, with Neloy Khare, National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, India. 2001.
- Bharat Me Vigyan Ki Uplabdhiyan: Ek Jhalak, with Neloy Khare, National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, India. 2002.
- Antarctic Geoscience, Ocean -Atmosphere interaction and Palaeoclimatology, with S. Rajan, National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, India. 2005.
- Dharakata Mahadweep, with Neloy Khare and Rakesh Sharma, National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, India. 1998.
- Pandey, P.C. (2007) in "India: Antarctic Program", Encyclopedia of the Antarctic edited by Beau Riffenburgh, pp. 529–530, Abingdon and New York: Taylor & Francis, ISBN 0-415-97024-5.
- Remote Sensing Applications to Coastal Oceanography, in Modelling and Monitoring of Coastal Marine Processes, with Rakumar, A K Verma, A K Mathur and Neera Chaturvedi, Antarctic Study Centre-National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, Space Application Centre(ISRO), pp 45–55, Edited by C. R. Murthy, P. C. Sinha and Y. R. Rao, India. 2008. Springer Netherlands.ISBN 1-4020-8326-2.Excerpts
- Faculty page, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur.
- " Pandey is Proud Past Alumni of Allahabad University". Pandey is told AU’s Product in Allahabad University Alumni Association web page.
- a) NASA TECHNICAL REPORTS SERVER Selected Navigations: Author Pandey, P. C. Dr. P C Pandey at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory USA. b) Journal of Geophysical Research page P C Pandey Author from SAC, Ahmedabad. c) Numerical experiment with modelled return echo of a satellite (PDF) P C Pandey Author, Affiliation: MOG, SAC Ahmedabad. d) Water Vapor Corrections for Radar Altimeter and Its Variability over the Indian Ocean P C Pandey Author, Affilation: MOG, SAC. e) Atmospheric temperature profile for a tropical region from TIROS-N microwave sounding unit Author P C Pandey from SAC/ISRO. f) "A Two Step Linear Statistical Technique Using Leaps And Bounds Procedure for Retrieval of Geophysical Parameters from Microwave Radiometric Data" Dr. Prem Chand Pandey author of article from Meteorology and Oceanography Group (MOG) Space Application Centre(SAC/ISRO). g) Advances in Microwave Remote Sensing of the Ocean and Atmosphere Important Article from SAC/ISRO by P C Pandey
- a) NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE (NAC)-workshop at NCMRWF P C Pandey Member from NCAOR Goa. b) Department of Ocean Development(DOD) official page P C Pandey Director NCAOR, Goa. c) Council of Managers of National Antarctic Programs(COMNAP) Prem Chand Pandey Retired from NCAOR-COMNAP
- "KBCAOS". KBCAOS official page
- "Seed R & D activities in the area of Polar Remote Sensing have been initiated in collaboration with other national institutes like SAC, Ahamedabad and K. Banerjee Centre for Atmospheric Sciences, Allahabad. ---In addition, a sum of Rs. 3.00 crore is proposed for the initiation of research programmes at the Dr. Kedareswar Banerjee Centre for Atmospheric and Ocean Studies at the Allahabad University". NCAOR/DOD(MoES) supported initiation establishment of K. Banerjee Centre of Atmospheric and Ocean Studies, University of Allahabad
- a) KBCAOS/MNCOSS-Allahabad University Alumni Association. Prem Chand Pandey is man behind establishment of KBCAOS- Allahabad University. b) "(KBCAOS), supported by projects from the Department of Ocean Development". Allahabad University official web page, KBCAOS/Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies(IIDS) was based on NCAOR/DOD Projects at the time. c) Oceanography and Other Projects at NCAOR & KBCAOS sponsored by NCAOR
- "SAGAA 2011 Organizing Committee: P C Pandey is Chairman said to be founder of KBCAOS, Allahabad University". (PDF) National Conference on Science& Geopolitics of Arctic& Antarctic organized in chairmanship of Dr. P. C Pandey where it is stated that he is Founder of KBCAOS, AU.
- " KBCAOS: Atmospheric and Ocean Science, Allahabad University (AU)". Allahabad University official web page.
- a) Changing global weather pattern causing concern Dr PC Pandey of Kharagpur-based Indian Institute of Technology has study"Tele-connection between melting of Antartica Sea ice and the frequency of El Nino and Southern Occillation phenomena (ENSO)". b) Numerical Simulation of Bay of Bengal Circulation Features from Ocean General Circulation Model P C Pandey Author From IIT Kharagpur
- "Prof. P C Pandey Joins IITBBS". (PDF) A doctorate in Physics (Microwaves) from Allahabad University, he is credited with the initiation of the satellite borne microwave remote sensing of Ocean Atmosphere and Cryosphere research in India. Professor Pandey was the Founder Director of National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, Goa from 1997 to 2005. He has spent a major part of his career at Space Application Centre (ISRO), Ahmedabad, and has worked for about five years at the NASA’s world famous Jet Propulsion Laboratory, USA. Professor Pandey has carried out extensive research in the areas of satellite oceanography, atmospheric science, climate change and polar science................He was also a member of the delegation led by Hon’ble Kapil Sibal to Antarctic, the first ever ministerial delegation to visit Antarctica. Professor Pandey has represented India in various International symposia related to Polar Science and Logistics such as Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR), Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting (ATCM) etc. Professor Pandey is the recipient of the prestigious Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award (1989), Professor Vikram Sarabhai Award and Gold Medal, Om Prakash Bhasin Award and Vigyan Gaurav Award of U.P. Council of Science and Technology as well as the NASA award:IIT Bhubaneswar web page says.
- " Professor Pandey at present at School of Earth, Ocean and Climate Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, Samantapuri, Bhubaneswar-751 013". According Indian Academy of Sciences Pandey is Faculty of IIT Bhubaneswar.
- "Faculty Profile of Prof. Prem Chand Pandey". School of Earth, Ocean and Climate Sciences, IIT Bhubaneswar, Facuty profile of Professor Pandey
- "Brief resume of Professor Pandey". (PDF) This brief resume describe that he is Faculty at IITBBS and a good information about him can be found here
- "Fellows", The National Academy of Sciences, India. Accessed 2010-08-18.
- a) Fellows Indian Meteorological Society; b) IMS official Page
- "Fellow, India Academi of Science, Bangalore". P C Pandey is fellow in official web page of the Academy, Bangalore
- "List of SES Fellows - The Society of Earth Scientists". (PDF) Prem Chand Pandey is Fellow of Society of Earth Science India
- “Professor Pandey is Fellow IGU-146”. (PDF) Professor Pandey is Fellow of IGU
- "Dr. P C Pandey, NCAOR,Goa is ISRS Fellow". Dr. P C Pandey is Fellow of Indian Society of Remote Sensing, Deradun according it’s official web page
- "Prof. P. C. Pandey of the School of Earth, Ocean and Climate Sciences has been elected Fellow of Indian Society for Mathematical Modelling and Computer Simulation". (PDF) INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY BHUBANESWAR 1st ANNUAL CONVOCATION 31st AUGUST 2012, Chief Guest, Dr. Anil Kakodkar, Former Chairman Atomic Energy Commission of India
- GSI official web page have Fellow record for Prem Chand Pandey-F-2857. Prof. Pandey is fellow of the GSI
- "MOES-NERC workshop for UK-INDIA Cooperation in Water Research-Profile of Indian Delegates: Prof. P C Pandey". (PDF) Pandey awarded with the Certificate of Recognition and Cash Award-1985 by NASA given in his awards section
- Earth Sciences: 1989 -Pandey, Prem Chand Council of Scientific and Industrial Research "Dr Pandey has made significant contributions to the development of the technique of microwave remote sensing from satellites for obtaining atmosphere and ocean surface parameters. His concept of combining microwaves with infrared derive cloud parameters has been widely acclaimed."
- "Professor Prem Chand Pandey's Profile on SSB Prize official web page". Professor Pandey in SSB Prize web page
- Scientific Awards: Dr. P.C. Pande- Director, National Centre For Antarctica and Ocean Research Council of Science and Technology, Uttar Pradesh.
- IGU awards page.
- Advances in Marine and Antarctic Science. New Delhi: A.P.H. Publ. Corp. 2002, p. 449 (ISBN 81-7648-347-8).
- "SHRI OM PRAKASH BHASIN AWARDS in ENGINEERING Including ENERGY and AERO SPACE". Award Presented by Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, President of India for 2004-2005 on 26 October 2006.
- "according LIFE SKETCHES OF GENERAL PRESIDENT AND SECTIONAL PRESIDENTS 94th INDIAN SCIENCE CONGRESS, ANNAMALAI NAGAR, 2006-20 Dr. Pandey was awarded by Hari Om Ashram Perit Dr. Vikram Sarabhai Award and Gold medal in the field of Atmospheric Sciences and Hydrology, in 1987 (first recipient in ISRO)". (PDF) EVERYMAN’S SCIENCE Vol. XLI No. 4 (October ’06 – November ’06) Dr. P C Pandey was President of Section of Environmental Sciences.
- "According Indian Academy fellow page Prof. Pandey is D.Sc. (h.c.)". Prof Pandey honoured D.Sc. (h.c.) from V B. S. Purvanchal University, Jaunpur.
- "MoES-NERC Workshop on The Changing Water Cycle-MOES Biographies". (PDF) Prof Pandey is recipient of the Khosla Award.
- "The Rekha Nandi and Bhupesh Nandi Award-The Institute of Engineering (India), Kolkata". Dr. Pandey is recipient of The Rekha Nandi and Bhupesh Nandi Prize from the Institution of Engineers (India) during Prize Distribution ceremony of the 25th Indian Engineering Congress, Kochi, 17 December 2010.
- "MoES-NERC Workshop on The Changing Water Cycle-MOES Biographies". (PDF) Prof Pandey is recipient of the Felicitation from the minister of the Govt. of India.
- " Internet Archive of Proud Past Alumni"
- "" Internet Archive of Proud Past Alumni"
- "according to faculty page". IIT Kharagpur
- "Pandey is member of Governing council". IITM web pag say him member of Governing Council
- “ 49th Foundation Day Celebration of the Institute: The Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune celebrated its 49th Foundation Day on 17th November 2010. Prof. P.C. Pandey, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur and Member, Governing Council of IITM, was the Chief Guest of the function”. IITM official web page stated him the Chief Guest and member of Governing Council of IITM
- "Nominees of the Chancellor". (PDF) Member, Academic Council, Goa University
- " Pandey described as adjuct Faculty in Physics". Pandey as adjuct faculty of BITS, Goa
- "Shri Kapil Sibal, Honourable Minister of State (Independent Charge), S&T and Ocean Development visited Antarctica from 2nd to 4th of February 2005, the first ever visit by an Indian Minister" Dr. Prem Chand Pandey, the then Director, National Centre for Antarctic & Ocean Research(NCAOR) was one of the member of the delegation as on DOD Web Page
- "International Polar Year 2007-2008". Prem Chand Pandey was Member, ICSU/WMO committee for International Polar Year (IPY) framework documents preparation
- President (sectional); Environmental Science Section. (PDF) EVERYMAN’S SCIENCE, science congress web page say that Dr. Pandey was sectional President
- " P C Pandey is member". Pandey is member of the executive Council
- "Science and Geopolitics of Arctic and Antarctic: The Organising Committee of SaGAA 2011". Conference at India International Centre web page stated that Dr. Pandey has published 134 research papers
- Associate Editors. Marine Geodesy...
- Subject Editors - Mausam India Meteorological Department.
- Editorial board: Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing springer.com, Earth Sciences.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prem Chand Pandey.|
- Professor Prem Chand Pandey, web page at IIT Bhubaneswar
- Dr PC Pandey, webpage at IIT Kharagpur
- "CSIR-Prize Winner Index" (Alphabetical). Prem Chand Pandey-1989.