National Order of Vietnam
|National Order of Vietnam|
Knight's badge of the National Order of Vietnam
|Awarded by South Vietnam|
|Type||Chivalric order with five grades|
|Eligibility||Military personnel and civilians|
|Awarded for||"Grandiose works, remarkable deeds, exhibited bravery, or for those who have honored and served the country by lofty virtues and outstanding knowledge"|
|Status||No longer awarded|
Ribbon bar of the order
The National Order of Vietnam was a combined military-civilian decoration of South Vietnam and was considered the highest honor that could be bestowed upon an individual by the Republic of Vietnam government.
The decoration was created in 1950 and was awarded to any person who performed "grandiose works, remarkable deeds, exhibited bravery, or for those who have honored and served the country by lofty virtues and outstanding knowledge."
- Grand Cross - wore the badge of the Order on a sash on the right shoulder, plus the star of the Order on the left chest;
- Grand Officer - wore the badge on a ribbon with rosette on the left chest, plus the star on the right chest;
- Commander - wore the badge on a necklet;
- Officer - wore the badge on a ribbon with rosette on the left chest;
- Knight - wore the badge on a ribbon on the left chest.
Both the badge and the star had the same design, as shown on the top right of this page. The ribbon was red with yellow borders.
During the Vietnam War, the National Order of Vietnam was bestowed on several members of the United States military, most of whom were senior military and political advisors to the South Vietnamese government. The decoration could also be awarded posthumously.
Since the National Order of Vietnam was both a civil and a military decoration, it was displayed above all other awards when worn on a military uniform. A purely military equivalent of the decoration was the Vietnam Military Merit Medal, awarded only to members of the military.
|Knight Grand Cross
(badge with sash)
(badge with necklet)
(Badge with ribbon)
- Gen. Alfredo M. Santos (Philippines)
- Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia
- Cao Văn Viên (1921-2008) General, Army of the Republic of Vietnam, and Commander, III Corps.
- Alexander Haig (1924-2010)
- Dr Ho Van Nhut (1905-1986), Founder of the Southern Red Cross of Vietnam