National University of Saint Anthony the Abbot in Cuzco
|National University of San Anthony the Abbot in Cuzco|
|Universidad Nacional de San Antonio Abad del Cusco|
|Rector||Victor Raul Aguilar Callo|
The National University of Saint Anthony the Abbot in Cuzco (Spanish: Universidad Nacional de San Antonio Abad del Cusco) (UNSAAC) is a public university in Cusco, Peru and one of the oldest in the country. Its foundation was first proposed on March 1, 1692, at the urging and support of Pope Innocent XII. The document in which Pope Innocent XII sponsored the founding of the university was signed in Madrid, Spain by King Charles II on June 1, 1692, thus becoming Cusco's principal and oldest university. The university was authorized to confer the bachelors, licentiate, masters, and doctorate degrees.
It currently has 24 faculties with 37 professorial chairs and 29 academic departments.
- José Bustamante y Rivero - President of Peru 1945-1948
- Valentín Paniagua - Interim President of Peru after Alberto Fujimori resigned in November 2000
- Oswaldo Baca (1908-1962) - chemist
- "Universidad Nacional de San Antonio Abad del Cusco -History and general reference". Official university site. Retrieved June 12, 2005.[dead link] (in Spanish)
- "Universidad Nacional de San Antonio Abad del Cusco - Reseña Histórica". Official university site. Retrieved January 16, 2012. (in Spanish)
- Universidad Nacional de San Antonio Abad del Cusco website
- History, Indians, and university reform in Cuzco
|This Peruvian university, college, or tertiary institution related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|