Nero Burning ROM
|Stable release||2015 (16.0.02800) (September 17, 2014) [±]|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Linux|
|Type||Optical disc authoring software|
Nero Burning ROM, commonly called Nero, is an optical disc authoring program for Microsoft Windows by Nero AG (formerly Ahead Software) located in Germany. Versions 6 to 9 were a part of Nero Multimedia Suite. As of version 10, Nero Burning Rom is available as a stand-alone product. Nero Linux is the Linux version.
Nero Burning ROM supports the creation of:
- ISO/UDF data discs
- Bootable discs
- Audio CD discs
- DVD-Video discs
- Blu-ray Discs
- AVCHD video discs
- SecurDisc discs
- Disk image files
Other functions include:
- Ripping audio CDs
- Converting audio files to other audio file formats
- Erasing rewritable discs
- Printing on discs with LightScribe and LabelFlash technology
- Connection to the online music database Gracenote
Nero Burning ROM Lite and OEM versions (with hardware purchase only) are cheaper, hardware specific, reduced functionality versions of Nero Burning ROM.
Image format support
Nero Burning ROM works with a number of optical disc image formats, including the raw uncompressed image following the ISO9660 standard, and Nero's proprietary NRG file format. Depending on version more image formats may be natively supported.
To use more formats, particularly lossless FLAC, Wavpack, and Shorten, it is necessary to install additional program modules. The modules, called plug-ins or codecs, are often freely available. Nero AG sells some video and proprietary audio plug-ins.
- Nero Burning Rom - the full version of the application, intended for advanced PC users.
- Nero Express - a simplified edition of Nero Burning ROM targeted at entry-level users, is available with the Nero software suite. Although Nero Express is not as powerful as the full-featured Nero Burning ROM, it features a more streamlined user interface, and offers a broader range of features than those offered by Windows. Nero Express is also integrated into Nero software suite, especially into OEM editions of this software which lack Nero Burning ROM.
- Nero Kwik Burn is a component of the freeware software suite Nero Kwik Media and provides only basic CD/DVD copying and creation options. It was initially released alongside version 188.8.131.52 as a standalone program called Nero BurnLite.
- Nero Linux is a more recent standalone incarnation of Nero Burning ROM that works on various distributions of Linux.
Nero Burning ROM
|Version Number||Nero Application Release Date||Notes|
|Nero Burning ROM 1|
|1.0||1997||First release of version 1.|
|1.0||1997||Last release of version 1.|
|Nero Burning ROM 2|
|184.108.40.206||1997||First release of version 2.|
|220.127.116.11||1997||Last release of version 2.|
|Nero Burning ROM 3|
|18.104.22.168||1997||First release of version 3.|
|22.214.171.124||1998||Last release of version 3.|
|Nero Burning ROM 4|
|126.96.36.199||1999||First release of version 4.
CD-ROM UDF and UDF/ISO (Bridge) support added. Nero Cover Editor.
|188.8.131.52||1999||Last version for Windows 3.x (requires Win32s).|
|184.108.40.206||20 March 2000||Last release of version 4.
New features include twin VQ Encoding/Decoding, audio echo filter, and audio drag & drop implemented for Windows 2000.
|Nero Burning ROM 5|
|220.127.116.11||2000||First release of version 5.|
|5.5||30 April 2001||Major update. New features included Nero Wave Editor, Advanced Nero Cover Designer, Nero MPEG1 Video Encoder, VCD/SVCD Menu Creation, Audio Plug-In Interface, Embedded Nero API (Application Program Interface), Nero Toolkit.|
|18.104.22.168||25 August 2001||First version to support DVD burning.|
|22.214.171.124||4 July 2002||The first version with codec plug-in support (for example, writing FLAC, WavPack, MP4 etc. files to Audio CDs), Windows XP Support.|
|126.96.36.199||2 March 2004||Last release of version 5. Last version for Windows 95A. Nero 6 requires Windows 95B/98 or later.|
|Nero Burning ROM 6|
|188.8.131.52||25 July 2003||First release of version 6.
Early versions of Nero version 6 would burn only data DVDs using the ISO 9660 file system. Though DVD drives seemed to have no difficulty reading single-layer discs, compatibility with dual-layer discs was problematic.
|184.108.40.206||18 June 2004||Last version for Windows NT 4.0.|
|220.127.116.11||17 February 2005||Added LightScribe support.|
|18.104.22.168c||31 July 2007||Last release of version 6.|
|Nero Burning ROM 7|
|22.214.171.124||31 October 2005||First release of version 7.
For unknown reasons, Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced for North America has no LabelFlash or DiscT@2 support as Nero 7 Premium for Europe does.
|126.96.36.199||28 August 2006||Last Version For Windows 98/ME.|
|188.8.131.52||18 September 2006||Introduced support for LightScribe and Blu-ray Disc devices.|
|184.108.40.206||16 October 2006||Designed to run on Windows Vista.|
|220.127.116.11||18 January 2007||Officially certified for Windows Vista.
Fixed all prior reported flaws, updated Booktype support, and added further options for high definition discs.
|18.104.22.168||20 March 2007||Bugfix release.|
|22.214.171.124||4 July 2007||Bugfix release.|
|126.96.36.199b||21 January 2010||Bugfix release.|
|188.8.131.52c||March 11, 2010||Windows 7 compatibility update.|
|Nero Burning ROM 8|
|184.108.40.206||1 October 2007||First release of version 8.|
|220.127.116.11||19 December 2007||Added support for DualLayer DVD-RW media including layer jump junction.|
|18.104.22.168||12 March 2008||Minor bug fixes. Improved playback compatibility for Blu-ray.|
|22.214.171.124||14 July 2008||Minor bug fixes. NeroShowTime gained support for DXVA 2.0 and ATI UVD.|
|126.96.36.199||17 December 2008|
|188.8.131.52a||11 January 2010||Prior release of version 8.|
|184.108.40.206||15 March 2010||Latest release of version 8. Last version For Windows 2000|
|Nero Burning ROM 9|
|220.127.116.11b ||29 September 2008||First release of version 9. First release to support Windows 7.|
|18.104.22.168c ||16 October 2008|
|22.214.171.124 ||17 December 2008|
|126.96.36.199 ||2 June 2009|
|188.8.131.52b ||29 June 2009|
|184.108.40.206d ||28 August 2009|
|220.127.116.11 ||9 October 2009|
|18.104.22.168b ||24 March 2010|
|22.214.171.124b ||3 March 2011||Latest release of version 9.|
|Nero Burning ROM 10|
|10.0.13100 ||12 April 2010||First retail release of version 10|
|10.6.11300 ||Latest update available in official website.|
|Nero Burning ROM 11|
|11.0.10700||First online release of version 11. First release to support the following BDXL media: BD-R TL, BD-RE TL, BD-R QL, and BD-RE QL.|
|11.0.10500||14 December 2011|
|Nero Burning ROM 12|
|12.0.00300||24 September 2012||First online release of version 12.|
|126.96.36.1990||27 May 2013|
|Nero Burning ROM 2014|
|15.0.02100 ||18 Sep 2013|
|15.0.08500 ||21 May 2014|
|15.0.09200 ||18 Jun 2014|
|Nero Burning ROM 2015|
|16.0.02800 ||17 Sep 2014|
|Version number||Release date||Notes|
|1.0||12 March 2005||First release|
|Nero Linux 2|
|188.8.131.52b||21 February 2007||Last release of Nero Linux version 2|
|Nero Linux 3|
|184.108.40.206||24 May 2007||GTK+ 2 port, Unicode support, Blu-ray burning.|
|220.127.116.11||6 November 2007|
|18.104.22.168||13 February 2008||Based on NeroAPI version 7.20. Some command line arguments supported.|
|3.5||5 April 2008|
|22.214.171.124||22 December 2008|
|126.96.36.199||18 June 2009|
|Nero Linux 4|
|188.8.131.52||17 September 2009||Current Linux release.|
|184.108.40.206b||22 December 2010||Latest Linux update|
- Lextrait, Vincent (July 2010). "The Programming Languages Beacon, v10.3". Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- Cassia, Fernando (2007-02-27). "'Nero Lite' and 'Nero Micro': smaller sometimes is better". The Inquirer. Retrieved 2007-03-07.
- "Nero Multimedia Suite 10 Now Available". Nero AG. 2010-04-12.
- "Nero Burning ROM System Requirements". Nero AG. Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- Notably multi-channel, e.g. Dolby Digital 5.1 and mp3pro.
- "Nero BurnLite". Nero AG. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- "Nero Linux". Nero AG. Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- "Ahead Software - Nero Burning ROM review". IT Reviews. 5 April 2000. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- "Version History". Ahead software gmbh. Archived from the original on 1999-09-17. Retrieved 2007-06-28.
- "Version History". Nero AG. Archived from the original on 2002-06-03. Retrieved 2007-06-28.
- Version History
- Nero – Nero 5 - Update
- Nero 5 System Requirements
- Nero 6 System Requirements
- "Nero Burning ROM 7 - Release Notes (Backup)". Nero AG. Retrieved 2007-02-01.
- "Nero 8 • Release Notes". Nero.com. Nero. 2008-03-12. Retrieved 2008-07-19.
- "Nero 8 – Update". Nero AG. Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- "Version history of Nero Burning ROM v220.127.116.11". AfterDawn.com. Retrieved 2007-06-28.
- "Nero Burning ROM version history / changelog". VideoHelp.com. Retrieved 2007-06-28.
- "NeroLinux released". MadPenguin. 2005-03-12.
- "Nero AG Linux 4 Press release". Nero AG. 2009-09-17.
- "Nero AG Linux 4 Download Page". Nero AG. 2010-12-22.