|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
SAP NetWeaver is the primary technology computing platform of the software company SAP AG, and the technical foundation for many SAP applications. It is a solution stack of SAP's technology products. The SAP Web Application Server (sometimes referred to as WebAS) is the runtime environment for the SAP applications, and all of the mySAP Business Suite solutions (SRM, CRM, SCM, PLM, ERP) run on SAP WebAS.
The product is marketed as a service-oriented application and integration platform. It can be used for custom development and integration with other applications and systems, and is built primarily using the ABAP programming language, but also uses C (programming language), C++, and Java EE. It can also be extended with, and interoperate with, technologies such as Microsoft .NET, Java EE, and IBM WebSphere.
The NetWeaver platform was a portal technology developed by Israeli software company TopTier Software (founded in 1997), and which SAP acquired in 2001. The founder of TopTier Software Shai Agassi joined SAP and was given responsibility for the company's overall technology strategy and execution. He initiated the development of the integration and application platform that became the NetWeaver platform.
The core products that make up SAP NetWeaver include:
- SAP NetWeaver Application Server
- SAP NetWeaver Business Intelligence
- SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment (CE)
- SAP NetWeaver Enterprise Portal (EP)
- SAP NetWeaver Identity Management (IdM)
- SAP NetWeaver Master Data Management (MDM)
- SAP NetWeaver Mobile
- SAP NetWeaver Process Integration (PI)
SAP has also worked with the computer hardware vendors HP, IBM, Fujitsu and Sun Microsystems (which was later acquired by Oracle Corporation) to deliver hardware and software for the deployment of NetWeaver components. Examples of these appliances include BW Accelerator and Enterprise Search.
Development tools for NetWeaver include ABAP Workbench (SE80), SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio (NWDS) based on Eclipse for most of the Java part of the technology (Web Dynpro for Java, JEE, Java Dictionary, portal applications etc.), SAP NetWeaver Development Infrastructure (NWDI) and Visual Composer.
- Web Dynpro
- SAP Composite Application Framework - an environment for designing and using composite applications
- Steffen Karch, Loren Heilig: SAP NetWeaver Roadmap. Galileo Press, 2005, ISBN 1-59229-041-8
- SAP NetWeaver Information
- SAP NetWeaver Capabilities discussions, blogs, documents and videos on the SAP Community Network (SCN)
- SAP's Help Documentation Portal
- SAP NetWeaver 2004
- SAP NetWeaver 7.0 Related Documents
- Download SAP NetWeaver Whitepapers
- SAP NetWeaver Magazine
- NetWeaver.it - SAP NetWeaver Technology News (English/Italian version)
- SAP NetWeaver Integration, overview of SAP NetWeaver integration with privileged identity management software
- ITsiti.com SAP Basis How-To, Tips & Tutorial