Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED
|AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED |
|Silent wave motor:||Yes|
|Frame coverage:||APS-C 1.5x|
|Aperture (max/min):||f/4 - f/22|
|Construction:||7 groups / 11 elements|
|# Diaphragm blades:||7 (rounded)|
|Close focus distance:||0.30m|
|Max. length:||82.5 mm|
|Angle of view|
|Diagonal:||99°-61° (with DX format)|
The AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G is a lens manufactured by Nikon for use on Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras. It provides an angle of view on a DX format camera similar to that of an 18-35mm lens on a 135 film format camera.
This lens was replaced by the AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED announced on April 14, 2009.
At the time the lens was introduced, Nikon did not make a zoom lens which would provide an ultra-wide-angle view on a DX format camera. Due to the crop factor of the DX format, wide-angle zoom lenses such as the 18-35mm provided an angle of view equivalent to a 27-52.5mm lens; more typical of a normal zoom.
The purpose of the 12-24mm was to fill this gap in the ultra-wide to wide angle range that would otherwise require users to purchase relatively expensive prime lenses such as the 13mm, 15mm and 18mm Nikkors.
- 12-24mm focal length (approximately equivalent to an 18-35mm lens used on a 135 film format camera)
- Compact silent wave autofocus motor with full-time manual override
- Nikon F-lens mount exclusively for use with Nikon DX format DSLRs
- Extra low Dispersion (ED) glass elements to reduce chromatic aberration
- Aspherical elements to reduce distortion
- Super integrated coating (SIC) to reduce flare and ghosts.
- Internal focusing (IF)
- eleven lens elements in seven groups
- three aspherical elements
- two ED glass elements
- "AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED (2.0x)". Lenses. Nikon Corporation. 2009. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Nikon confirm DX 12 - 24 mm lens". Digital Photography Review. ©1998-2008. Retrieved 2009-02-23.
- "AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f4G IF-ED Lens". Behind the Scenes. Nikon Corporation. 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-23.