|Subdivisions||Garstedt, Harksheide, Friedrichsgabe, Glashütte, Mitte|
|• Mayor||Hans-Joachim Grote (CDU)|
|• Total||58.1 km2 (22.4 sq mi)|
|Elevation||36 m (118 ft)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Norderstedt is a city in Germany and part of the Hamburg Metropolitan Region (Metropolregion Hamburg), the fifth largest city (with approximately 75.000 inhabitants) in the federal state of Schleswig-Holstein, belonging to the district (Kreis) Segeberg.
Norderstedt was created by the merger of four towns on 1 January 1970: the towns of Friedrichsgabe and Garstedt, both belonging to the district Pinneberg, and the towns of Glashütte and Harksheide, both belonging to the district Stormarn. The newly created city was assigned to the district Segeberg.
Transportation and Logistics
Norderstedt is served by the Autobahn (federal motorway) A7/E45 via exit number 21 Hamburg-Schnelsen-Nord (Norderstedt-Süd), located on Hamburg territory, in the south, and exit number 23 Quickborn in the north. Major thoroughfares are the Bundesstrassen (federal highways) B432 in west-east and B433 in north-south directions.
Norderstedt does not have a Deutsche Bahn railway station. A north-south railway service with small commuter trains runs between Ulzburg Süd in the north and Norderstedt Mitte in the south. Norderstedt Mitte is also the terminus of the Hamburg underground line U1. Travel time from Hamburg Central Station (Hauptbahnhof) to Norderstedt Mitte is 40 minutes. The other two stations of the U1 line are Richtweg and Garstedt.
Norderstedt is covered by the postal codes 22844, 22846, 22848, 22850 and 22851. The UN LOCODE abbreviation for Norderstedt is DENOT.
Norderstedt is twinned with:
- Maromme, France since 1966
- Oadby and Wigston, England since 1977
- Zwijndrecht, Netherlands since 1981
- Kohtla-Järve, Estland, since 1989
- Armin von Gerkan (1881–1969), classical archaeologist
- Ernst Bader (1914–1999), actor, composer, lyricist
- Victor Colani (* 1933), German-Swiss industrial designer
- Uwe Seeler (* 1936), German international footballer
- Oliver Bendt (1946), singer and founder of Goombay Dance Band
- Tom Shaka (* 1953), US-American singer-songwriter (blues)
- Human Nikmaslak (* 1976), German-Iranian international kick boxer