Contractor completed his Doctor of Philosophy degree in Communication at the University of Southern California (USC) in 1987. Prior to this he received a Master of Arts in Communication also from USC in 1986 and a Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology in 1983.
He has published more than 250 research papers in the area of social communication networks. He is well known for the Multi-Theoretical Multi-Level (MTML) Framework with Peter Monge described in detail in Theories of Communication Networks which received the 2003 Book of the Year award from the Organizational Communication Division of the National Communication Association. He is also one of the principal investigators of the Virtual Worlds Observatory project.
- http://sonic.northwestern.edu/ Sonic Lab
- http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/news/2754 Professor Noshir Contractor joins Web Science Trust
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- List of publications from Google Scholar
- List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server
- Lazer, D.; Pentland, A.; Adamic, L.; Aral, S.; Barabasi, A. -L.; Brewer, D.; Christakis, N.; Contractor, N.; Fowler, J.; Gutmann, M.; Jebara, T.; King, G.; Macy, M.; Roy, D.; Van Alstyne, M. (2009). "SOCIAL SCIENCE: Computational Social Science". Science 323 (5915): 721–723. doi:10.1126/science.1167742. PMC 2745217. PMID 19197046.
- Contractor, Noshir S.; Monge, Peter R. (2003). Theories of communication networks. Oxford [Oxfordshire]: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-516037-1.