|Public Shareholding Co. Ltd|
|Headquarters||Palestine, Ramallah, Palestine|
|Products||Fixed, GSM, GPRS, EDGE, SMS, MMS, ISP|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Paltel fixed line, Hadara, PalMedia, Reach, Hulul|
Paltel or Palestinian Telecommunication Group (Arabic: مجموعه الاتصالات الفلسطينيه) is the largest private-sector company in the Palestine, employing almost 2,000 people. Its subsidiaries include the landline network Paltel, which was in service in 1994, and internet services provider Hadara.
In 1995, when Yasser Arafat set up the Palestine Telecommunications Co, only 3% of Palestinians owned a telephone; applicants would have to wait years for a connection by Bezeq, the Israeli state-owned provider. The initial three year plan was to invest $600m in the West Bank and Gaza in order to increase customers from 85,000 to 250,000. An agreement was reached in 1997 to acquire knowhow from Cable and Wireless, and in 1998 Ericsson won the contract to supply a GSM cellular network. That year Arafat called on mobile users to switch to Paltel which would soon become the sole providers for the two regions.
The mobile operator of PaltelGroup, [clarification needed] with its 2 million subscribers, has stopped a merger operation with Zain, but still will join the One Network project in the year 2010.
- Jawwal (Cellular Communications)
- Paltel (Fixed telephony)
- Hadara (ISP)
- Palmedia' (Media Services)
- Reach (Contact Center)
- Hulul' (IT Support)
- Palestine Telecommunications Company, PALTEL, Paltel Group, PG
- Devi, Sharmila, Financial Times, 29 March 2007
- PALTEL selects Alcatel-Lucent's optical solution to transform backbone network in the Palestinian territories | Alcatel-Lucent | AMEinfo.com
- Tough conditions - Telecoms - News & Features - ITP.net
- Hadara for Technological Investment Company, Hadara, Hadara Technologies
- Prusher, Ilene R. Palestinians sprint to break Israeli grip on phone lines, The Christian Science Monitor 20 August 1996
- Dempsey, Judy. Paltel on fast track to solve communication problem Financial Times 11 December 1996
- Machlis, Avi. Palestinian telecoms plan Financial Times 19 November 1996.
- Dempsey, Judy. C&W appeals to Israeli PM: Financial Times 25 November 2011
- Ericsson, Financial Times 9 July 1998
- Christopher Walker Arafat renews vow to declare independence The Times 10 July 1998
- Palestinian Market Briefs - U.S. Commercial Service West Bank and Gaza
- Zain-Paltel share swap deal abandoned - Telecoms - News & Features - ITP.net
|This article about a telecommunications company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|