Pat Mora (born January 19, 1942) is an award-winning Latina author of poetry, nonfiction and children's books. A popular presenter, she received Honorary Doctorates from North Carolina State University and SUNY Buffalo, and is an Honorary Member of ALA.
A former teacher, university administrator, museum director, and consultant, Pat is a popular national speaker at conferences, campuses, libraries and schools. Mora's writing is shaped by the Mexico–United States border where she was born and spent much of her life, recognizing the human and cultural diversity of the Southwestern United States and northern Mexico.
El día de los niños, El día de los libros/Children's Day, Book Day
A literacy advocate excited about sharing what she calls “bookjoy,” Pat founded the community-based, family literacy initiative, El día de los niños, El día de los libros/Children’s Day, Book Day (often known as Día) with the assistance of REFORMA, The National Association to Promote Library and Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish-Speaking. Pat was inspired by the Mexican tradition of nationally celebrating El día niño on April 30.
Children's Day, Book Day, has grown in the U.S. to include all children, languages and cultures. The two part goal includes a daily commitment to promote literacy and bookjoy (essential in our democracy), and culminating April book fiestas that unite communities. A major partner is the American Library Association. A new member of the annual traditions of Mother's Day (June), Father's Day, (July), is Children's Day, Book Day (April).
Mora has received Honorary Doctorates degrees in Letters from North Carolina State University and SUNY Buffalo and is an Honorary Member of the American Library Association. She was a recipient of a Civitella Ranieri Fellowship to write in Umbria, Italy. She was a Visiting Carruthers Chair at the University of New Mexico, a recipient and judge of the Poetry Fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts, and a recipient and advisor of the Kellogg National Fellowships.
She is married to Vern Scarborough and is the mother of three grown children. She lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Adult Books: Poetry
- Adobe Odes 69
- Agua Santa/Holy Water
- Aunt Carmen's Book of Practical Saints
Adult Books: Nonfiction
- House of Houses
Young Adult Books: Poetry
- Dizzy in Your Eyes: Poems about Love (2010)
- My Own True Name: New and Selected Poems for Young Adults (2000)
- This Big Sky
- Book Fiesta! Celebrate Children's Day, Book Day/Celebremos el Día de los niños, el Día de los libros (bilingual)
- Confetti: Poems for Children
- Confeti: Poemas para niños (Spanish edition)
- Delicious Hullabaloo: Pachanga deliciosa (bilingual)
- The Desert Is My Mother/El desierto es mi madre(bilingual)
- Join Hands: The Way We Celebrate
- Love to Mamá: A Tribute to Mothers
- ¡Marimba! Animales A-Z
- The Song of St. Francis and the Animals
- Uno, dos, tres: One, Two, Three
- Yum! ¡Mmm! ¡Qué Rico! America's Sproutings
- Yum! ¡Mmm! ¡Qué Rico! Brotes de las Américas(Spanish edition)
- Abuelos (Spanish edition)
- Agua Agua Agua
- Agua Agua Agua (Spanish edition)
- The Bakery Lady/La señora de la panaderia (bilingual)
- The Beautiful Lady: Our Lady of Guadalupe
- La hermosa Señora: Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe (Spanish edition)
- A Birthday Basket for Tía
- Doña Flor: A Tall Tale About a Giant Woman With a Great Big Heart
- Doña Flor: Un Cuento de una Mujer Gigante con un Grande Corazón (Spanish edition)
- The Gift of the Poinsettia: El regalo de la flor de nochebuena (bilingual)
- A Library for Juana: The World of Sor Juana Inés
- Una Biblioteca para Juana: El Mundo de Sor Juana Inés (Spanish edition)
- Listen to the Desert: Oye al desierto
- Maria Paints the Hills
- My Family/Mi Familia series: Here Kitty, Kitty/¡Ven gatita, ven! (bilingual)
- My Family/Mi Familia series: Let's Eat ¡A comer! (bilingual)
- My Family/Mi Familia series: Sweet Dreams ¡Dulces sueños! (bilingual)
- My Family/Mi Familia series: Wiggling Pockets/Los bolsillos saltarines (bilingual)
- The Night the Moon Fell
- La noche que se cayó la luna (Spanish edition)
- Pablo's Tree
- A Piñata in a Pine Tree: A Latino Twelve Days of Christmas
- The Race of Toad and Deer
- La carrera del sapo y el venado (Spanish edition)
- The Rainbow Tulip
- Tomás and the Library Lady
- Tomás y la señora de la biblioteca (Spanish edition)
- Rowlands, Kathleen (1 April 2007). "The Influence of Pat Mora: How - and Why - Literacy Becomes Political". Children and Libraries 5 (1): 20.