UK box art
|Publisher(s)||CIS Buka Entertainment
EU Meridian 4
|Distributor(s)||UK G2 Games
ITA Blue Label Entertainment
|Release date(s)||CIS June 9, 2005
UK August 18, 2006
|Mode(s)||Single-player (First-person view)|
Pathologic (known in Russian as Мор. Утопия) is an award winning 2005 psychological horror video game developed by the Russian studio Ice-Pick Lodge. It was published in Russia and other CIS-countries by Buka Entertainment. The game was published in the UK on 18 August 2006 by G2 Games.
The game is about three people who are known mostly by their nicknames: two men, Bachelor (Бакалавр) and Haruspex (Гаруспик), and a girl nicknamed Devotress (Самозванка). Each tries to uncover the source of a strange lethal sickness that has befallen a small town. Although you can play as each of them, there is only one storyline, which is seen from different points of view depending upon the chosen character. Uncovering some secrets dependins on which character is being played. Throughout each day you receive quests from NPCs and at exactly midnight, the incomplete quests are erased from your notebook. Quests are divided into main missions, (one per day) which decide if a major character will die, and side quests, which earn money and items.
On the edge of town, there is a great building named Polyhedron (Многогранник), a geometrically impossible structure used as a fortress by children. On the opposite side lies an ominous mountain called the Abattoir, with the Apiary, an insane asylum, next to it. All districts and major buildings of the town are named after body parts and biology.
The Ice-Pick Team
- Nikolay Dybowskiy — Game designer and writer
- Airat Zakirov — Technical Director
- Aleksey Bakhvalov — Lead programmer
- Iliya Kalinin — Art Director
- Evgeniya Dashina — Lead Artist
- Irina Kapitonova — Artist
- Peter Potapov — 3D Designer
- Ekaterina Romashkina — 3D Animator
- Vyacheslav Goncharenko — 3D Modeler
- Vlad Ermakov — 3D Modeler
- Andriesh Gandrabur — Music composer and sound designer
Pathologic was critically well received in Russia, winning five major Russian awards. However, its reception in English-speaking countries has been varied, being both praised for its remarkable atmosphere and concept while equally panned for its poor translation, outdated graphics and slow gameplay.
On the official Ice Pick forums, a retranslation of the English version by the forum members has been stalled since 2010.
- "Pathologic Official site (in English)". Retrieved 2006-11-26.
- "Eurogamer: Pathologic review". Retrieved 2006-11-26.
- "Honest Gamers: Pathologic review". Retrieved 2009-02-03.
- "Analysis: I Love You Just The Way You Are". Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- Official website
- Official walkthrough
- Pathologic at MobyGames
- Part 1 (of 3) of a review of Pathologic by the gaming website Rock, Paper, Shotgun - SPOILERS
- Part 2 (of 3)
- Part 3 (of 3)
- Pathologistics: a project documenting player experience of the game