Patricia Smith, Viscountess Hambleden
Born Lady Patricia Herbert, she was the eldest child of Reginald Herbert, 15th Earl of Pembroke and his wife, Beatrice. She grew up at Wilton House, Wiltshire. Her father descended from Countess Catherine Vorontsov.
In 1919, she was a bridesmaid at the wedding of the Honourable Olive Cecilia Paget, daughter of the 1st Baron Queensborough.
She was debutante of the year in 1922.
Marriage and children
- The Hon. William Herbert Smith (b. 1930)
- The Hon. Laura Caroline Beatrice Smith (b. 1931)
- The Hon. Katharine Patricia Smith (b. 1933) (married to Ivan Moffat from 1961 to 1972)
- The Hon. Richard Edward Smith (b. 1937)
- The Hon. Philip Reginald Smith (b. 1945)
As a senior member of the royal household, she was a leading guest at the 1947 wedding of Princess Elizabeth and Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. 
She was at one time chairman of the NSPCC, and carried out voluntary work for King's College Hospital. In 1990, to celebrate the Queen Mother's 90th birthday (by that time she had served her for 53 years), she was made a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order.
Styles and Honours
- The Hon. Patricia Herbert (1904–1913)
- Lady Patricia Herbert (1913–1928)
- The Rt. Hon. The Viscountess Hambleden (1928–?)
- The Rt. Hon. The Viscountess Hambleden DCVO (?–?)
- The Rt. Hon. The Viscountess Hambleden GCVO (?–1948)
- The Rt. Hon. The Dowager Viscountess Hambleden GCVO (1948–1994)
- Lundy, Daryll. Lady Patricia Herbert, ThePeerage.com, accessed 23 May 2012
- Woronzow, HumphrysFamilyTree, accessed 4 April 2012. Catherine's father, Count Semyon Vorontsov, the Russian ambassador to Britain, brought the family to London in 1785.
- Lady Hambleden obituary (The Independent) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-patricia-hambleden-1431015.html
- Wedding of Patricia Smith and 3rd Viscount Hambleden, The Glasgow Herald, 27 September 1928
- Ivan Moffat's obituary in The Telegraph, 3 August 2002, accessed 28 March 2012
- Lundy, Darryl. "Hon. Katharine Patricia Smith", ThePeerage.com, Person Page 2114, accessed 8 April 2012
- Royal Collection: Seating plan for the Ball Supper Room http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/royalwedding1947/object.asp?grouping=&exhibs=NONE&object=9000366&row=82&detail=magnify