Paul Pindar (businessman)
|Born||Paul Richard Martin Pindar
11 April 1959
|Education||Ranelagh School, Bracknell|
|Alma mater||Swansea University|
|Title||Former Chief Executive of Capita plc|
Paul Richard Martin Pindar (born 11 April 1959) is an English businessman. He is best known for his 23-year tenure as managing director and chief executive of Capita plc, a provider of business process outsourcing (BPO) services in the UK.
Pindar trained as an Chartered Accountant with Coopers & Lybrand, qualifying in 1984, before joining private equity firm 3i as investment controller.
Pindar joined Capita in 1987, initially as finance director, then managing director in 1991 and chief executive in 1999. He was the third-longest serving FTSE 100 CEO after Martin Sorrell and Aidan Heavey when he stood down in 2014.
He joined the business after advising on the £330,000 management buyout (MBO) while working for 3i. When he joined Capita, it had 33 employees and revenues of £1.3 million. The company was subsequently floated on the USM in 1989 with a market capitalisation of £8 million. Since this IPO Capita has been the best performing UK share.
On 18 November 2013, Pindar announced that he would be stepping down from his role at the end of February 2014 to focus on opportunities within private equity. When he left the business in February 2014, Capita had more than 62,000 employees and a market capitalisation of £7.5 billion.
Pindar was a non-executive director of retailer Debenhams plc from 2006 to 2010 and in July 2012 he was appointed non-executive chairman of Integrated Dental Holdings (IDH), the largest chain of dental practices in the UK with over 500 surgeries, backed by Carlyle Group.
Following his departure from Capita in February 2014, Pindar became chairman of Independent Clinical Services (ICS) in June 2014 following its acquisition by TowerBrook from Blackstone. He has also invested and joined the board of a number of smaller businesses. He backed the MBO of International Travel Connections (ITC), a luxury travel business, and became chairman in August 2014. This was to allow the existing family shareholders to reduce their stakes and to support future acquisitions.
Pindar is currently a member of TowerBrook Capital Partners' senior advisory board.
- "City interview: Capita's Paul Pindar". This is Money. 21 February 2008. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "Paul R. M. Pindar: Executive Profile". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "The Guardian: FTSE Survivors of the Decade". The Guardian. 30 December 2009.
- "The Telegraph: 'Shoot me' if I do another big chief executive's job, says departing Capita boss Paul Pindar". Daily Telegraph. 18 November 2013.
- "Software Analysis: CEO interview".
- "Computer World UK".
- "Paul Pindar steps down as Capita chief". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Paul Pindar: the man who took the "r" out of Capita". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "IDH Press Release: IDH appoint new Chairman".
- "Unquote: TowerBrook picks up Blackstone’s ICS".
- "ITC MBO Takes Deal of the Month".
- "Tour operator ITC on the lookout for acquisition targets after management buyout".
- "Dotcom estate agent to shake up property industry".
- "Management Today: 'Star Investor' Neil Woodford Has Just Bet £7m On Online Estate Agent Purplebricks".
- "Towerbrook: Our Team".
|This United Kingdom business–related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|