|Engineering discipline||Civil engineer|
|Practice name||Nichols Group|
Peter Hansford is an English civil engineer. He served as the 146th President of the Institution of Civil Engineers(ICE) (2010-2011) and in July 2012 it was announced that he would succeed Paul Morrell as the UK government's chief construction adviser in November 2012.
Hansford studied civil engineering at Nottingham University, and then worked at Amey Roadstone Construction and Maunsell Consultations Asia in Hong Kong. He later joined the Nichols Group, working as engineering manager for London's Docklands Light Railway City extension and Beckton extension projects (1989-1992). He also has a MBA from Cranfield University.
Hansford is a Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers and of the Association for Project Management, and chaired the ICE's expert panel contributing to the UK government's Low Carbon Construction IGT report (2010), a key building block of the industry reforms started by Morrell.
Infrastructure Steering Committee
Peter Hansford, ICE Past President, chaired the Infrastructure Steering Committee (ISC), a group of leading clients, consultants, contractors and academics who are a focal point for industry input into the work of the IUK Infrastructure Cost Review implementation programme. This Industry Standards Group report was prepared in response to the Infrastructure Cost Review programme.
Involved with the Infrastructure UK cost study, Hansford has also worked on various strategic reviews including ones for the Highways Agency, the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority and Network Rail.
- Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. "Government names new Chief Construction Adviser". Wiredgov.net. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- Fitzpatrick, Tom. "Industry backs Hansford as chief construction adviser". Construction News. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "Peter Hansford". About ICE: Past Presidents. ICE. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- Fitzpatrick, Tom (2 July 2014). "Peter Hansford to remain as construction adviser until November 2015". Construction News. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Hayman, Allister (2 July 2014). "Government hands Hansford an extra year in post". Building. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Specifying Successful Standards: An industry enquiry into how standards and specifications can enable the UK to innovate, lower costs and improve whole life value of our infrastructure assets (Report). Industry Standards Group. ICE. July 2012. http://www.ice.org.uk/getattachment/3b96c4c3-9045-4ba0-9549-1586c90019fb/Specifying-Successful-Standards.aspx. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
|Chief Construction Adviser to UK Government
December 2012 – present
incumbent (from December 2012)
|Professional and academic associations|
|President of the Institution of Civil Engineers
November 2010– November 2011