||This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)
Auditioning Petrof pianos at the factory
1895 ad for Petrof pianos
Petrof is a Czech piano manufacturer. The company was founded in 1864 in Hradec Králové by Antonín Petrof (d. 1915), who had studied piano making in Vienna.
History of Petrof
- 1857 – The company founder Antonín Petrof goes to Vienna to learn, how to build grand pianos
- 1864 – Hradec Králové - building of the first concert grand piano
- 1865 – Antonín Petrof transforms his father's joinery workshop into a piano maker's workshop
- 1874 – The company moves to a new property in the direction of Brno
- 1881 – The company starts keyboard production and the construction of action
- 1884 – The construction of a saw mill
- 1894 – Start exporting instruments abroad
- 1895 – Subsidiary in Temesvár in Hungary opened
- 1908 – The company becomes a limited company. Not only the founder Antonín Petrof, but also his sons Jan, Antonín and from 1914 the youngest Vladimír (2nd generation) work for the company.
- 1915 – Antonín Petrof and his wife Marie, the company confidential clerk die
- 1928 – Petrof together with the significant American and German piano manufacturer Steinway & Sons open a subsidiary in London at Wigmore Street.
- 1932 – The company management enlarges the company administration with the 3rd Petrof generation: Dimitrij, Eduard and Eugena
- 1948 – Nationalization - the national company Továrny na piana a varhany (piano and organ factories) with a registered office at Hradec Králové is established; the Petrof brand is further used
- 1954 – Development department for upright pianos and grand pianos is established.
- 1965 – 1965 became part of Czechoslovak Musical Instruments Hradec Králové.
- 1991 – The Petrof family returns to the factory
- Ing. Jan Petrof (4th generation) after 40 years of communistic regime
- Start of privatization process
- 1994 – New modern research centre with own big-capacity free-field measuring chamber, biggest of its kind in the Czech republic, opened
- 1997 – Továrna na piana, a. s. established in Hradec Králové
- 1999 – 135th anniversary of establishment of Petrof company
- 2001 – Petrof, spol. s r. o. - the factory passed fully into the hands of the Petrof family, 5th generation enters
- 2004 – Zuzana Ceralová Petrofová becomes president of the company – 5th generation
- 2005 – Zuzana Ceralová Petrofová - appointed president of European Federation of Music Instrument Manufacturers - CAFIM
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Petrof.
Coordinates: 50°11′31.75″N 15°51′3.33″E / 50.1921528°N 15.8509250°E