|Born||September 21, 1948|
|Occupation||Investor, motivational speaker, author|
|Alma mater||University of California, San Diego|
|Notable work(s)||Rule #1, Payback Time|
Philip Bradley Town is an American investor, motivational speaker, and financial writer.
Before Investing: The 1960s & 1970s
Phil Town was raised in Portland, Oregon. He graduated from high school in the 1960s. After four attempts at college, he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy from the University of California, San Diego. In 1972, following a stint in the US Army as a Green Beret, Town found himself sleeping in a tent in Flagstaff, Arizona conducting whitewater rafting trips down the Colorado River.
Transition to Investor: The 1980s
In 1980, he ran a rafting expedition for trustees of the Outward Bound Program. The trip was nearly catastrophic when the boat almost capsized in a rough section of the Colorado River. One of the men on that trip told Phil that he could be “doing better than pumping rubber all summer and living on welfare in the off season.”
Phil's interest in meditation and spirituality led him to personalize what he had learned from his mentor. His values-based investing philosophy centers around four key principles he calls the Four M’s: Meaning, Moat, Management and Margin of Safety. In 2005, he began his Rule #1 blog where he teaches readers how to invest without compromising their own ethics. In 2006, Random House released his book Rule #1, The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week! through its Crown imprint. It went to #1 on the New York Times bestseller list. Rule #1 was also on Business Week's bestseller list and USA Today’s list of top business books. Rule #1 is now published in 14 languages. His second book, Payback Time, Making Big Money Is the Best Revenge!, was released by Random House in March, 2010 and immediately went to #1 on the NY Times bestseller list. Payback Time explains the concept of 'Stockpiling' stocks for long term high returns with low risk.
Phil Town regularly speaks on the Get Motivated stage which features prominent politicians, business people, entertainers, and athletes.” Get Motivated Seminars produces the world’s largest one-day business seminars, bringing together “the world’s greatest leaders and achievers” in the fields of business, politics, sports, entertainment, and philanthropy. He is a frequent guest on CNBC as well, having been featured on The Millionaire Inside series and is featured on the first and second episodes, “Your Guide to Wealth” and “Your Guide to Retiring Rich” along with David Bach and Barbara Corcoran. He is a regular contributor to MSNBC’s show Your Business, and has appeared on Maria Bartiromo’s show Closing Bell.
- Phil Town Official Site
- Rule #1 Channel
- Business Week's Bestseller List
- Motley Fool Review of Rule #1
- Interview with Phil Town
- Rule #1 Reports of Big 5 ROI with MOS Prices
- MacDonald, Jay (2007-10-27). "Investment Tune-Up: Mutual Funds are for Losers". BankRate.com. Retrieved 2009-11-25.
- Valdes, Marcela. "Who's the Next Biz Guru?". Publisher's Weekly. Retrieved 2009-11-26.[dead link]
- "Author's Spotlight". Random House. http://randomhouse.com/. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- Thuermer, Jr., Angus (2006-04-12). "Town’s Rule #1 headed for No. 1". Jackson Hole News & Guide. Retrieved 2009-11-24.[dead link]
- Town, Phil. "Rule #1 Blog". Retrieved 2009-11-24.
- Rule #1
- Thuermer, Jr., Angus (2006-04-12). "Town’s Rule #1 headed for No. 1". Jackson Hole News & Guide. Retrieved 2009-11-24.
- Schwabel, Dan. "Personal Branding Interview".