||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
- For the Canadian ice hockey player, see Philip Varone.
|Birth name||Philip Varone III|
October 15, 1967 |
Long Island, New York
|Occupations||Musician, Songwriter, Actor, Producer|
|Associated acts||Saigon Kick
Phil Varone (born October 15, 1967) is an American drummer, music producer and songwriter. He is a founding member of the band Saigon Kick, which he is currently a member of.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (November 2009)|
Varone was born on Long Island, New York, to parents Phil and Angela Varone, both of Italian descent. His family relocated to Fort Lauderdale, Florida in 1980. Phil received his first drum kit as a Christmas gift as a young child. He began playing percussion in grade school at the age of 7 and continued into the first years of junior high. Self-taught, Phil credits his skills to listening to his favorite bands and drummers.
Varone began playing in various local bands while still in high school in Fort Lauderdale. In 1988, he joined together with some of his friends and formed Saigon Kick. The band signed a recording contract with Atlantic Records after two years. They earned a Gold Record for the album, The Lizard as well as a Billboard top 10 single for the song, "Love is On the Way". In 1996, Saigon Kick disbanded and Varone stayed busy producing and doing studio work for a variety of artists.[who?]
In 2000, Varone joined multi-platinum recording artists Skid Row. Together they toured the world with Kiss, Poison, Def Leppard and Tesla; along the way, they recorded a new record, Thickskin. Additionally, the band produced Under the Skin: The Making of Thickskin, which was internationally distributed on DVD.
Television, Film and Radio
When Varone left the music business in 2004 he decided to pursue a career in acting and stand up comedy. Varone appeared as a celebrity customer in an episode of Miami Ink, in which he got a tattoo of his son's name. He also appeared in episodes of the Showtime series Californication, and the CBS series Numbers. Varone appeared the E! program Inside Celebrity Rehabs, the NBC game show Identity, in which he was correctly matched to his identity as a rock and roll drummer, and on an episode of Celebrity Ghost Stories on the BIO Channel. He also appeared in an Asian Nokia TV commercial.
Varone produced and starred in the acclaimed 2007 feature-length documentary, Waking Up Dead, in which a film crew followed him around for several years to document his life as a touring drummer.
In April 2009, Varone participated in Sex Rehab with Dr. Drew, a VH1 spinoff of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew that features celebrities being rehabilitated for sex addiction. In the first episode, Varone revealed that his sex addiction worsened after his mother died from a cerebral aneurysm in 1998. Another pivotal moment occurred when his maternal grandmother Josephine died during the taping of the show. Varone also spoke about this sex addiction in episodes of Oprah,[episode needed] The Tyra Banks Show[episode needed] and the Today Show.[episode needed]
In the September 26, 2010 episode of Strange Sex on the Discovery Health Channel Varone and his girlfriend, Achsha, discussed Phil's sex addiction and recovery and how it related to their new relationship.
Phil has his own show with Vivid Radio on SiriusXM Radio called The Swing with Phil Varone.
In April 2013 Un-Philtered: Real Life On and Off the Rock'n'Roll Tour Bus, a tell-all memoir of his days on the road, was published by Riverdale Ave Books.
In July 2011 Vivid Entertainment released Phil Varone's Secret Sex Stash video as part of their celebrity sex tape series. He has gone on to produce and direct a series for Vivid Entertainment called 100% Real Swingers. Varone has a second series of reality porn videos called Groupies: The Music From Behind, a takeoff on VH1’s Behind the Music series.
Varone has his own line of sex toys with California Exotic Novelties, including the first ever rockstar mold and pierced dildo.
With Saigon Kick
- Saigon Kick (1991)
- The Lizard (1992)
- Water (1993)
- Devil In The Details (1995)
- Greatest Mrs.: The Best of Saigon Kick (1998)
- Moments From The Fringe (1998)
- Bastards (1999)
- Greatest Hits Live (2000)
- Live Around The World 1991–1996 (2007)
With Prunella Scales
- Dressing Up The Idiot (1997)
With Skid Row
- Thickskin (2003)
Awards and nominations
- 2012 AVN Award nominee - Best Celebrity Sex Tape
- 2012 AVN Award nominee - Best Marketing Campaign
- 2013 AVN Award nominee - Best Celebrity Sex Tape - Phil Varone’s Swinging American Style: Texas F*ck ‘em
- 2013 AVN Award nominee - Best Celebrity Sex Tape - Phil Varone’s Swinging American Style: Vegas or Bust!
- 2013 AVN Award nominee - Best New Series - Swinging American Style
- 2014 XBIZ Award nominee - Best Pro Am Release - 100% Real Swingers: Big Bear
- 2014 AVN Award nominee - Best Amateur Series - 100% Real Swingers
- 2014 AVN Award winner - Best Amateur Release - 100% Real Swingers: Meet the Riley's
- Sex Rehab with Dr. Drew. VH1. Season 1. Episode 6. December 6, 2009
- Strange Sex. Discovery Health Channel. September 26, 2012.
- Jesse Capps (December 20, 2010). "Ex-Skid Row Drummer Phil Varone Is Ecstatic About His Playgirl Debut". RockConfidential.com. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- Bob Johnson (June 9, 2011). "Vivid Releases Rocker Phil Varone's Sex Tape Online". XBIZ Newswire. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- Staff. "Interview: Phil Varone on 'Groupies: The Music From Behind'". AVN.com. Adult Video News. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- PRWEB (October 5, 2011). "Rock Star Signs Deal with Major Manufacturer to Produce Line of Adult Toys". PRWEB. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- "Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew – Peep The Full Cast" VH1. accessed July 27, 2011.
- Jafet, Fabio. "Phil Varone - Interview" Saviours of Rock. December 2007
- "Phil Varone gets flack from former bandmate Sebastian Bach for posing nude in Playgirl