Lepikon Torppa, the birthplace of Urho Kekkonen
Location of Pielavesi in Finland
|Sub-region||Upper Savonia sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Sami Miettinen (since 2010)|
|• Total||1,406.57 km2 (543.08 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,153.30 km2 (445.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||253.27 km2 (97.79 sq mi)|
|Area rank||76th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||188th largest in Finland|
|• Density||4.16/km2 (10.8/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.6% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||15.4%|
|• 15 to 64||57%|
|• 65 or older||27.6%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
Pielavesi is a municipality of Finland. It is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the Northern Savonia region. The municipality has a population of 4,793 (30 November 2014) and covers an area of 1,406.57 square kilometres (543.08 sq mi) of which 253.27 km2 (97.79 sq mi) is water. The population density is 4.16 inhabitants per square kilometre (10.8/sq mi). Neighbouring municipalities are Iisalmi, Keitele, Kiuruvesi, Maaninka, Pihtipudas, Pyhäjärvi, and Tervo. The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
- Urho Kekkonen, a late President of Finland who ruled the country over two decades, was born in Pielavesi in a log cabin called Lepikon torppa.
- Ilpo Saastamoinen, musician and composer
- Antti Ruuskanen, javelin thrower and olympic medalist
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 30.11.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Pielavesi in Järviwiki Web Service. Finnish Environment Institute. Retrieved 2014-03-17. (English)
Media related to Pielavesi at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Pielavesi – Official website (Finnish)
|This Eastern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|