April 20, 1954|
|Institutions||Polish Academy of Sciences
University of Białystok
|Alma mater||University of Warsaw
Polish Academy of Sciences
|Doctoral advisor||Andrzej Siciński|
|Known for||Seminal contributions to civil society|
|Notable awards||Order of Polonia Restituta (2011)|
Piotr Tadeusz Gliński (born April 20, 1954) is a Polish sociologist, professor, and university lecturer. He served as President of the Polish Sociological Association from 2005 to 2011. He is the nominee of Law and Justice, the largest opposition party, for Prime Minister of Poland.
Early life and education
Piotr Tadeusz Gliński was born in Warsaw on April 20, 1954. In 1973, he graduated from the Bolesław Prus High School in Warsaw. He studied at the Institute of Economic Sciences and the Institute of Sociology of the University of Warsaw, earning a 1978 master's degree in economics. He then completed doctoral studies in the Institute of Philosophy and Sociology of the Polish Academy of Sciences. In 1984, on the basis of Labor Economic Conditions Lifestyle: Urban Families in Poland in the Seventies, written under the direction of Andrzej Siciński, he received a Ph.D. degree in humanities. He received his habilitation at the Institute of Philosophy and Sociology in 1997 with a thesis entitled The Polish Greens: The Social Movement in Transition.
Professionally associated since the late 1970s with the Institute of Philosophy and Sociology of the Polish Academy of Sciences, he has held various positions. From 1997 to 2005, Head of the Civil Society. He was a professor at the Institute of Sociology at the University of Bialystok and head of the Department of Sociology at the University. He was awarded internships outside Poland, lecturing in European universities. His academic specialty was the study of social movements, sociology of culture and civil society, as well as in the social aspects of environmental protection. He participated in the work of the Committee for Research and Forecasting Poland in 2000 and the Committee of Man and the Environment. He has been a consultant for national and international institutions, including the Polish ministries and the United Nations Development Programme.
In 1986, he co-organized the Section of Social Forecasting of the Polish Sociological Association. From 1995 to 1997 he was treasurer of the PSA, Vice-President of the organization, and from 2005 to 2011 he served as its President. In 1989 he became a member of the Social Ecological Institute, which he headed from 1997 to 2003. He was a founding member of the Society for the creation of the Mazury National Park. He is also a member of the Collegium Invisibile. In 2003, he participated in the creation of the party Greens 2004, but due to its adoption of a leftist agenda, ultimately did not join. In 2008 Gliński received the title of professor of humanities.
On October 1, 2012, Law and Justice announced the candidature of Piotr Gliński for Prime Minister with a request for a constructive vote of no confidence against the government of Donald Tusk. On June 26, 2014, Law and Justice filed another request, also pointing Gliński as a candidate for the office.
- Civil society in the making (red.), IFiS PAN, Warszawa 2006
- Człowiek-środowisko-zdrowie. Problemy polskie z prognostycznego punktu widzenia (red.), KPPRK PAN, Warszawa 1985
- Katastrofa smoleńska, Reakcje społeczne, polityczne i medialne (red.), IFiS PAN, Warszawa 2011
- Kulturowe aspekty struktury społecznej. Fundamenty, konstrukcje, fasady (red.), IFiS PAN, Warszawa 2010
- Polscy Zieloni. Ruch społeczny w okresie przemian, IFiS PAN, Warszawa 1996
- Samoorganizacja społeczeństwa polskiego. III sektor i wspólnoty lokalne w jednoczącej się Europie (red.), IFiS PAN, Warszawa 2002
- Socjologia i Siciński. Style życia, społeczeństwo obywatelskie, studia nad przyszłością (red.), IFiS PAN, Warszawa 2009
- Społeczne aspekty ochrony i kształtowania środowiska w Polsce, Wyd. SGGW-AR, Warszawa 1990
- Style działań organizacji pozarządowych w Polsce. Grupy interesu czy pożytku publicznego?, IFiS PAN, Warszawa 2006
- Teorie wspólnotowe a praktyka społeczna. Obywatelskość, polityka, lokalność (red.), IFiS PAN, Warszawa 2005
- "W ruchu ekologicznym jest mniej g.... niż w całym świecie. Z profesorem socjologii, autorem książki "Polscy zieloni", Piotrem Glińskim rozmawiają Marta Lelek i Janusz Korbel". pracownia.org.pl. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- "Lista tutorów Collegium Invisibile". Collegium Invisibile. Archived from the original on May 7, 2013. Retrieved September 29, 2012.
- Stankiewicz, Andrzej; Śmiłowicz, Piotr (October 7, 2012). "Premier na niby". Wprost (in Polish). Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- "Postanowienie Prezydenta Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej z dnia 24 kwietnia 2008 r. nr 115-3-08 o nadaniu tytułu profesora" (in Polish). Internetowy System Aktów Prawnych. Sejm of the Republic of Poland. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "PiS złożyło wniosek o odwołanie rządu. Ma kandydata na nowego premiera" (in Polish). TVN24. June 26, 2014. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "PiS chce konstruktywnego wotum nieufności. Politolog: bez sensu, niepoważne" (in Polish). Gazeta.pl. June 26, 2014. Retrieved June 26, 2014.