|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2007)|
The Pokomo are an ethnic group of Kenya, from the Bantu language group. They are predominantly agriculturalists and fresh water fishermen living along the Tana River in the Tana River District. They speak Pokomo language.
The Pokomo mostly live along the River Tana where they grow their crops, mainly maize. The Tana River also supplies the Pokomo with catfish and tilapia. Catfish is mainly boiled or sundried prior to eating. Other food sources include: plantains, palm tree seeds, bananas, peas, pumpkins etc.
The Pokomo council of elders are known as Gasa. They deal with solving disputes like marriage disputes, land disputes, family conflicts and others. The Pokomo dances include Kithoko, Mwaribe, Miri among others and these are usually played at various ceremonies. The passage to adulthood for men is by initiation which involves circumcision.
Population in Kenya: 99,000
Pokomo population is split into two groups; the Upper Pokomo, who make up 75% of the population, and the Lower Pokomo. The Upper Pokomo people are mainly Muslim, and have been so since the first half of the 20th century. The Lower Pokomos, who live along the lower part of the Tana, were receptive to the teachings of the Christian missionaries who arrived in the area in the late 1870s, and, by 1914, were almost exclusively Christian. Joshua project site that their primary religion is Christianity with 90.00%, (Evangelical: 44.00%), but they must have taken into account only lower Pokomo. Ethnologue also indicates that the group is mainly Muslim.
Did you know that the tune of the Kenya National Anthem is an African Song which is heard in the Pokomo county of Kenya? It is a traditional tune sang by mothers to their babies; (Mdondo mdondo, mwana kakuiyani......) Pokomo people are musical and they used music to blend their calture in celebrating achievements; harvest, fishing, hunting, wedding, circumcision and also when new babies were born, this was done in the form of songs and dance
Upper Pokomo (Wantu wa Dzuu)
Lower Pokomo (Malanchini)
- Hon. Yuda Komora...Former MP Garsen, Assistant Minister and Permanent Secretary (Passed on)
- Hon. Danson Mungatana...former MP Garsen
- Hon. Israel Lekwa Ddaido....Former MP Garsen (Passed on)
- Hon. Tola Kofa....Former MP Galole
- Hon. Japheth Kasse....Former MP Galole
- Wilson Hiribae......Former PS (Passed on)
- Fares Kuindwa.....Former Head Of Civil Service, Permanent Secretary and Amb./ UN Rep. (Passed on)
- Hyslop Ipu.... Former Comptroller State House and immediate former Principal Secretary at the Ministry Of Forestry and Wildlife, - Kenya
- Wellington Godo....Former PS/ Amb./UN Rep.
- Tomas Dudah ....Former Principle Kenya Utalii College
- Leah Gwiyo....PS Ministry of Public Works
- Edward M.Yesse....Regional Manager, NSSF
- Martin Miyesa ....Former Managing Director TARDA.
- Joel Ruhu ....Prominent Politician
- Alex Komora ....Prominent Banker
- Shari Martin....Prominent Gospel Musician
- Jeremiah Dhadho
- Mwalimu. John Makdii
- Mwalimu. Amos Chadhoro (Passed on)
- Mwalimu. Michael Bocha (Passed on)
- Mzee. Obed Jillo (Passed on)
- Mzee. Israel Gudina (Passed on)
- Mzee. Paulo Pakia ....Chief Magistrate (Passed on)
- Mzee. Masinzi....Senior Chief (Passed on)
- Mzee. Silas B. Tunu ....Former Commissioner of elections and renowned Headmaster (Passed on)
- Justin Kamale... Principal lecturer Kenya Utalii College (passed on)
- Justice George Dulu... Judge of the High Court of Kenya
- Kenneth P. Pakia....RTD Teacher, Head Teacher, D.E.O,Asst. Dir. Education, P.D.E-Western Province, Director-K.N.L.S
- Simeon H. Galugalu....former regional manager, Agricultural Finance Corporation, former Project manager T.D.I.P-Gamba.
- Major Kirungu Majiba....Kenya Defence Forces....78 tank Battalion.
- Eng. Mwaka Mungatana....Registered mechanical engineer, currently working with Tsavo Power, an indipended power producer based in Mombasa, formerly worked with Kenya Power and Kenya Pipeline company.
- Dr. Susan Mwaka,PHD....Head of Department, Pwani University-Kilifi.
- Komora M. Jilo...Formerly of Kenya Airways, Director Kenya Ports Authority, Prominent Business man.
Elias Heindrich Buko (passed on)
Mary Badoura Gamema (Kenya examination Council) retired
- literacy and translation work among the Lower Pokomo
- Ethnologue and bibliography information on Pokomo
- People-in-country profile 
|This article about a Kenyan ethnicity is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|