|Location||Hinsdale / Gunnison counties, Colorado, USA|
|Nearest city||Gunnison, CO|
|Area||62,050 acres (251.1 km2)|
|Established||January 1, 1993|
|Governing body||Bureau of Land Management / U.S. Forest Service|
The Powderhorn Wilderness is a 62,050-acre (251.1 km2) wilderness area in Hinsdale and Gunnison Counties, Colorado, USA, located 5 miles (8.0 km) northeast of Lake City. Most of the northern part of the area, 48,115 acres (194.71 km2), about 77.5%, is located on Bureau of Land Management land and its southern portion, 13,935 acres (56.39 km2), about 22.5%, is located within the Gunnison National Forest.
The Powderhorn is an important watershed for the Gunnison River. The area protects the East, Middle, and West forks of Powderhorn Creek which flows north directly to the Gunnison River. Calf Creek, which is on National Forest land flows south and eventually joins the Lake Fork River that also flows into the Gunnison via Lake City. Within the area there are numerous small lakes and beaver ponds. The largest of these are Devil's Lake and Powderhorn Lake.
Much of the area sits above timberline at 12,000 feet (3,700 m) and it is recognized as one of the largest expanses of tundra in the continental United States. The lower portions of the area are characterized by large stands of ponderosa pine and groves of aspen and sagebrush.
- "Powderhorn Wilderness". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- "Powderhorn Wilderness". Wilderness.net. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- "Powderhorn Wilderness Area". Colorado Wilderness. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- "Powderhorn Wilderness". Public Lands Information Center. Retrieved Augsut 12, 2012.
- Pearson, Mark (2001). Colorado's Canyon Country: A Guide to Hiking and Floating BLM Wildlands. Englewood, CO: Westcliffe Publishers. ISBN 1565793870.
|This Colorado state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a protected area in Colorado is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|