Prayer to the shoulder wound of Jesus
|A series of articles on|
Prayers to Jesus
|Overview of Prayers|
|Devotions to Christ|
||This article improperly uses one or more religious texts as primary sources without referring to secondary sources that critically analyze them. (August 2012)|
The Prayer to the shoulder wound of Jesus is a Roman Catholic prayer, addressed to the wound Jesus is said to have experienced during his crucifixion. It is variously attributed to Saint Bernard of Clairvaux or to St. Gertrude or St. Mechtilde.
According to St. Bernard, he asked Jesus which was his greatest unrecorded suffering and the wound that inflicted the most pain on him in Calvary and Jesus answered: "I had on My Shoulder, while I bore My Cross on the Way of Sorrows, a grievous Wound which was more painful than the others and which is not recorded by men."
- '"O Loving Jesus, Meek Lamb of God, I, a miserable sinner, salute and worship the most Sacred Wound of Thy Shoulder on which Thou didst bear Thy heavy Cross, which so tore Thy Flesh and laid bare Thy Bones as to inflict on Thee an anguish greater than any other wound of Thy Most Blessed Body. I adore Thee, O Jesus most sorrowful; I praise and glorify Thee and give Thee thanks for this most sacred and painful Wound, beseeching Thee by that exceeding pain and by the crushing burden of Thy heavy Cross, to be merciful to me, a sinner, to forgive me all my mortal and venial sins and to lead me on towards Heaven along the Way of Thy Cross. Amen."
- Catholic Online - Prayers
- Preces Gertrudianae sive vera et sincera medulla precum potissimum ex revelationibus BB. Gertrudis et Mechtildis excerptarum. Editio nova, accurate recognita et emendata a monacho ordinis S. Benedicti Congregationis Beuronensis, 1903
- Catholic Tradition http://www.catholictradition.org/Children/st-bernard.htm
- Prayer to the Shoulder Wound of Jesus http://www.catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=31