Prime Suspect (U.S. TV series)
|Created by||Lynda La Plante|
|Developed by||Alexandra Cunningham|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||John McNamara
Lynda La Plante
Nan Bernstein Freed
|Camera setup||Film; Multi-camera|
|Production company(s)||ITV Studios
Open 4 Business Productions
|Distributor||NBCUniversal Television Distribution|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||September 22, 2011– January 22, 2012|
Prime Suspect is an American police procedural television drama series that premiered on NBC on September 22, 2011. It stars Maria Bello as Detective Jane Timoney. The series is a "re-imagining" of the original British series Prime Suspect. The series was created by Lynda La Plante and was redeveloped by Alexandra Cunningham who also serves as executive producer and writer. Peter Berg serves as executive producer and director. Sarah Aubrey, Julie Meldal-Johnson, Paul Buccieri, Lynda La Plante, and John McNamara all serve as executive producers. The series is produced by Universal Television, ITV Studios America, and Film 44.
On November 14, 2011, NBC announced it would replace Prime Suspect in the Thursday night line-up with The Firm, beginning January 12, 2012.The final two produced episodes were broadcast by NBC on Sunday, January 22, 2012.
Produced by Peter Berg and Alexandra Cunningham, the crime drama Prime Suspect takes place within a New York City Police Department homicide squad. The series stars Maria Bello as NYPD homicide Detective Jane Timoney, an outsider who has just transferred to a new squad where her new colleagues already dislike her. Jane is confident and focused, but also rude, abrupt and occasionally reckless. She has her vices, and rumors about how she got the job follow her everywhere.
Cast and characters
- Maria Bello as Det. Jane Timoney
- Brían F. O'Byrne as Det. Reg Duffy
- Kirk Acevedo as Det. Luisito Calderon
- Peter Gerety as Desmond Timoney, Jane's father.
- Tim Griffin as Det. Augie Blando
- Damon Gupton as Det. Evrard Velerio
- Elizabeth Rodriguez appeared as Det. Carolina Rivera (four episodes)
- Joe Nieves as Det. Eddie Gautier (pilot only)
- Kenny Johnson as Matt Webb
- Aidan Quinn as Lt. Kevin Sweeney
Development and production
An American remake of the UK series was previously ordered by NBC in September 2009 as part of a two-year, three pilot deal with ITV Studios. Hank Steinberg, the creator of the CBS Without a Trace series, was set to write and executive produce the two-hour pilot. In early 2010, Erwin Stoff and Paul Buccieri were to also serve as executive producers—for ITV Studios and Universal Media Studios—and Mick Jackson was on board to direct. By late February, the project was put on hold because reportedly an actress could not be found to play the lead character. In July 2010, Universal Media Studios signed a new deal with Film 44, the production company of Peter Berg and Sarah Aubrey. As part of the agreement, they took over the development of Prime Suspect. "We are proud to continue our productive creative relationship with Peter and Sarah in developing Prime Suspect, among others… They have immense talent and passion".
|No.||Title||Air Date||18–49 Rating||U.S. Viewers
|1||"Pilot"||September 22, 2011||1.8||6.05||#3|||
|2||"Carnivorous Sheep"||September 29, 2011||1.5||5.69||#3|||
|3||"Bitch"||October 6, 2011||1.5||5.04||#3|||
|4||"Great Guy, Yet Dead"||October 13, 2011||1.3||4.50||#3|||
|5||"Regrets, I've Had a Few"||October 27, 2011||1.1||4.03||#3|||
|6||"Shame"||November 3, 2011||1.2||4.51||#3|||
|7||"Wednesday's Child"||November 10, 2011||1.3||4.86||#3|||
|8||"Underwater"||November 17, 2011||1.1||4.39||#2|||
|9||"Gone to Pieces"||December 1, 2011||1.3||4.69||#2|||
|10||"A Gorgeous Mosaic"||December 15, 2011||0.9||3.70||#2|||
|11||"The Great Wall of Silence"||December 22, 2011||1.0||4.44||#2|||
|12||"Ain't No Sunshine"||January 22, 2012||0.8||4.31||#3|||
|13||"Stuck in the Middle with You"||January 22, 2012||0.7||3.65||#3|||
The series premiere was viewed by 6.05 million viewers with a 1.8 rating in the 18–49 demographic. The series has received generally positive reviews from critics and viewers. The series received 66/100 based upon 26 reviews on the website Metacritic indicating the series as generally favourable. Most critics found Maria Bello's performance the strongest factor of the series praising her excellent and intriguing portrayal of Det. Jane Timoney. Mo Fathelbab of BuzzFocus said, "I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the American version of Prime Suspect is my favorite new hour-long show on network television. It may very well be the best new show premiering this fall. It’s a smart, un-condescending cop show that is anchored by a fantastic performance by Maria Bello". Eric Blattberg said, "What makes Prime Suspect compelling enough to see where this show goes is its remarkable cast. This show is not actually bad at all; it's an enjoyable hour, but it's going to need a lot of work to avoid being lost in the shuffle amongst other established police shows. Not to mention the fact that it's up against Thursday heavyweights".
|Australia||Nine Network||28 September 2011|
|Canada (English)||Global TV||22 September 2011|
|Canada / Quebec (French)||Séries+ (As Suspect No 1)||May 29, 2012|
|New Zealand||TV One||Autumn 2011|
|Italy||Fox Crime||17 May 2012|
|United Kingdom||Universal Channel||18 June 2012|
- Prime Suspect on NBC
- Seidman, Robert (July 6, 2011). "NBC Announces Fall Premiere Dates - 'Chuck,' 'Grimm' Premiere October 21; Early Premiere for 'Parenthood'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- Thursday, October 13th 10/9c. "Prime Suspect - NBC Official Site". Nbc.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- Updated: NBC Picks Up "Smash", "Prime Suspects" and Two More Sitcoms to Series, TV by the Numbers, May 11, 2011
- Andreeva, Nellie (2011-11-14). "NBC To Give ‘Harry’s Law’ Full-Season Order; ‘Prime Suspect’ Gone?". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- Gorman, Bill (2011-11-14). "NBC Unveils New Mid-season 2012 Schedule". TVbythenumbers.com. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- Gorman, Bill (January 5, 2012). "'Prime Suspect' Final Two Episodes To Be Aired vs. NFC Championship Game". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Thursday, October 13th 10/9c. "Prime Suspect - About - NBC Official Site". Nbc.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Prime Suspect: NBC orders US version pilot". TV Series Finale. 2011-02-06. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- The Deadline Team (July 6, 2011). "NBC Unveils 2011-2012 Primetime Schedule". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- Christine (September 25, 2011). "Monday, September 26: Filming Locations in NYC, Detroit, Boston, & more including ‘I, Alex Cross’, ‘R.I.P.D.’, & ‘Gossip Girl’". On Location Vacations. Retrieved March 24, 2012.
- Seidman, Robert (September 23, 2011). "Thursday Finals: 'Big Bang Theory,' 'The X Factor,' 'Parks & Recreation' and 'Whitney' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (September 30, 2011). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'X Factor,' 'The Big Bang Theory,' 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'The Office' & 'The Secret Circle,' 'Mentalist' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 1, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (October 7, 2011). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'X Factor,' 'The Big Bang Theory,' 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'The Office,' 'Person of Interest,' 'Parks & Rec' Adjusted Up; 'Private Practice' Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (October 14, 2011). "TV Ratings Thursday: 'X Factor' Drops, Still Leads Fox Win; 'Whitney,' 'Prime Suspect' Hit Lows As NBC Has Worst In-Season Thursday Ever". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Gorman, Bill (October 28, 2011). "Thursday Final Ratings: World Series Game 6 Finals + 'Big Bang,' 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Office,' 'Person,' Adjusted Up; 'Rules,' 'Secret Circle,' 'Whitney,' 'Prime Suspect' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 29, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (November 4, 2011). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Bang Theory,' 'The X Factor,' 'Parks & Recreation,' 'The Office,' 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Grey's Anatomy' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 8, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (November 11, 2011). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Bang Theory,' 'Grey's,' 'Prime Suspect' Adjusted Up; 'Bones,' 'Rules,' 'Private Practice' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (November 18, 2011). "TV Ratings Thursday: 'X Factor,' 'Person Of Interest,' 'Mentalist,' 'Whitney,' 'The Office' Hit Lows On An Up & Down Night". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (December 2, 2011). "Thursday Final Ratings: No Adjustment for 'Community,' 'Bones' or Any Thursday Original". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 3, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (December 16, 2011). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The X Factor,' 'Prime Suspect' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 23, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (December 23, 2011). "Thursday Final Ratings: No Adults 18-49 Adjustments To 'The X Factor,' 'Who's Still Standing?' Or 'Prime Suspect'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 23, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (January 24, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Undercover Boss' Adjusted Up; 'Pan Am' Adusted Down + Giants/49ers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- by prime suspect - Google News. "Prime Suspect: Premiere Ratings – TV Series Finale | Hot News from around the World". Crusadeguild.eu. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Prime Suspect - Season 1 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic". Metacritic.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- Mo Fathelbab (2011-09-23). "‘Prime Suspect’ Series Premiere Review: Pilot". BuzzFocus.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Fall TV: 'Prime Suspect' Pilot Review". Hollywood.com. 2011-09-23. Archived from the original on 2013-01-26. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- Dawson, Kelly (October 4, 2011). "NBC Cancels 'The Playboy Club'". Hollywood TV Critics. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- "Returning: Send in the Dogs, CSI. Airdate: Prime Suspect.". TV Tonight. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "New Prime Suspect Headed to Canada". Worldscreen.com. 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- Prime Suspect showpage on Séries+ website
- "Kiwi net takes Prime Suspect US". C21media.net. 2011-06-01. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "Prime Suspect". foxcrime.it. 2012-05-19.
- Munn, Patrick (May 29, 2012). "Universal Channel Acquires UK Rights To ‘Prime Suspect’". TVWise. Retrieved May 29, 2012.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Prime Suspect (U.S. TV series)|