Cover of Robert Anton Wilson's Prometheus Rising
|Author||Robert Anton Wilson|
|Cover artist||Stan Slaughter|
|Subject||Self-improvement/philosophy & morality; publisher description: "Psychology/Social Commentary"|
|Publisher||New Falcon Publications|
Prometheus Rising is a book by Robert Anton Wilson first published in 1983. It is a guide book of "how to get from here to there", an amalgam of Timothy Leary's 8-circuit model of consciousness, Gurdjieff's self-observation exercises, Alfred Korzybski's general semantics, Aleister Crowley's magical theorems, Sociobiology, Yoga, relativity, and quantum mechanics amongst other approaches to understanding the world around us.
Claiming to be a short book (under 300 pages) about how the human mind works and how to get the most use from one, Wilson describes it as an "owner's manual for the human brain".
The book, which examines many aspects of social mind control and mental imprinting, provides mind exercises at the end of every chapter, with the goal of giving the reader more control over how one's mind works. The book, which has found many readers among followers of alternative culture, also discusses the effect of certain psychoactive substances and how these affect the brain, tantric breathing techniques, and other methods and holistic approaches to expanding consciousness.
The book draws a parallel between the development of one's mind and the development of higher levels of intelligence throughout the course of biological evolution.
Copyrighted and published in 1983, Prometheus Rising began as Wilson's Ph.D. dissertation called "The Evolution of Neuro-Sociological Circuits: A Contribution to the Sociobiology of Consciousness" in 1978-79 for Paideia University in California. In 1982, while in Ireland, Wilson rewrote the manuscript for commercial publication, removing footnotes, bolding up the style, adding chapters and exercises, and sketching out diagrams for the illustrations. Eventually Wilson submitted the work to New Falcon Publications, which accepted it within 48 hours. Wilson received his advance 48 hours after that, according to his preface in the tenth printing of Prometheus Rising.
The current edition also includes an introduction by Israel Regardie.
Influence on other works
Prometheus Rising is listed as one of the ten seminal works of extropian thought in the Extropianism FAQ. It was also listed on Max More's reading list for extropians, the Immortality Institute's reading list in The Scientific Conquest of Death, and other reading lists for extropians and transhumans.
- "Robert Anton Wilson." St. James Guide to Science Fiction Writers, 4th ed. St. James Press, 1996. Reproduced in Biography Resource Center. Farmington Hills, Michigan.: Thomson Gale. 2007.
- Spence, Iain (2012). The Hare Hypothesis. Bast's Blend. ISBN 1230000143782. (Re-named from the original Sekhmet Hypothesis) Chapter 1 - Does Society 'Dream' Youth Trends? 'In this book, Wilson makes a brief remark that a correlation exists between the archetype of the Gentle Angel from archaic symbolism with the symbol of the Flower Child from modern times. From this I figured that a pattern was occurring within youth culture which described not one, but instead a series of social archetypes based on our instinctive and emotional nature.'
- Robert Munafo (January 1, 2015), Selected items from the Extropianism FAQ, retrieved 2015-02-03
- The Extropian Principles 2.5, July 1993
- Extropian & Transhumanist Books, Nanotech-now.com, July 28, 2011
- The Scientific Conquest of Death: Essays on Infinite Lifespans (contents), Immortality Institute, 2004, ISBN 9875611352