|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011)|
Quizzo (also Quizo, Quizzmo, and QuizBo) is a pub quiz live trivia game, or online chatbot game for Live Messenger. The game is played in teams where each team attempts to answer the most trivia questions correctly. It was largely popularized in Philadelphia, beginning in 1995, and since has become popular in cities across the United States.
Quizzo is typically hosted by a bar or church on a particular night of the week. Teams anywhere from one to ten or more players compete in a trivia game consisting of three to six rounds with 10 questions each, although this varies by venue. The questions asked can vary from academic questions to sports and entertainment questions. Answers are either written down on a slip of paper to be collected at the end of each round, or more recently at some venues by specially designed computer devices that are distributed to each team. At the end of the game the winning teams are determined and usually receive prizes, frequently credit at the hosting bar.
The rules of Quizzo vary widely depending on the establishment hosting the event. Most variations include variable points per round, varied rounds which might consist of speed elements, visual or audio clues, multiple choice answers and so forth. Some quizzes allow "jokering", in which teams have the option of doubling the points in one round per game without knowing how well they have done in that round or what future rounds might hold.
- "Raising the bar (games): the verbally-abusive, lovably foul-mouthed Quiz-Master Irish john". METRO.US (Free Daily News Group Inc.). 17 June 2010.[dead link]
- "Quizo – The Original Pub Trivia Game". Quizotrivia.com. August 9, 2010.
- "National Trivia Association Presents Quizzo! Live Trivia". National Trivia Association.
- Trailer for "The Legend of Sofa Kingdom" movie.
- "Big Mike's Quizzo, hosted by Mike McCafferty".
- "The Official Philadelphia Quizzo Website".
- "The Official Michigan Quizzo Website".