Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network
|Scott Berkowitz, President and Founder
Regan Burke, Chairperson
Christina Ricci, National Spokesperson
|Mission||National Sexual Assault Hotline, prevent sexual violence, help victims and ensure that rapists are brought to justice.|
The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) is an American anti-sexual assault organization, the largest in the United States. RAINN operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline and carries out programs to prevent sexual assault, help victims, and to ensure that rapists are brought to justice.
RAINN was founded in 1994 by Scott Berkowitz. Tori Amos was the organization's first spokesperson. Christina Ricci is RAINN's current national spokesperson and a member of its National Leadership Council. Wrestling legend Mick Foley is also a member of their National Leadership Council and has worked as a volunteer on their online hotline. During a 15-month period ending in April 2011, Foley logged more than 550 hours talking to victims online. The same month, Foley offered to mow anyone's lawn who donated up to a certain amount to the organization, stating, "If you want to help survivors of sexual assault, or just want to see a big guy with long hair mowing your lawn in front of your friends, please take part..."
National Sexual Assault Hotline
The National Sexual Assault Hotline is a 24-hour, toll-free phone service that automatically and anonymously links callers to the nearest RAINN-associated rape crisis center with a counselor able to respond to the call. More than 1,100 local partnerships are associated with RAINN to provide sexual assault victims with free, confidential services. Since 2008, RAINN has provided anonymous, on-line crisis support through its National Sexual Assault Online Hotline via instant messaging.
RAINN sponsors an annual campaign against sexual assault in September.
- "Resource List: RAINN: Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network". Stop Abuse For Everyone. 2005-01-05. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- "Amos still displaying her ivory powers". CNN. 2009-12-11. Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- Jay S. Jacobs (2006). Pretty Good Years: A Biography of Tori Amos. Hal Leonard Corporation. pp. 56. ISBN 1-4234-0022-4.
- "Leadership And Governance". RAINN. 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- "National Sexual Assault Hotline". RAINN. 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- Kornblum, Janet (April 14, 2008). "More Abuse Victims Able to Get Help Online". USA Today. Retrieved July 17, 2011.
- "Join RAINN Day 2010!". RAINN. 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-21.