|Born||Rachel Annabelle Riley
11 January 1986
Rochford, Essex, England
|Residence||Thorpe Bay, Southend-on-Sea|
|Alma mater||Oriel College, Oxford|
|Spouse(s)||Jamie Gilbert (m. 2012-13)|
In January 2009, she replaced Carol Vorderman as the co-host of Countdown doing the letters and numbers selection and mathematics solutions. She hosts the show alongside Nick Hewer. Riley has co-presented over 1,000 episodes of Countdown.
Born in Rochford, Essex, to an accountant father Christopher  (who was originally from Salford, Lancashire)  and his wife Celia, Riley was brought up in the Thorpe Bay area of Southend-on-Sea and was educated at the independent Thorpe Hall School, and Southend High School for Girls, a grammar school, where she obtained four As at A-Level. She then read mathematics at Oriel College, Oxford, gaining an upper second-class honours degree. Before she appeared on Countdown, she did an internship in The City during a university vacation, but did not apparently like the experience, and after university worked as an analyst for a price-comparison website.
Riley was encouraged to apply for the Countdown position by her mother. She did not have an ambition to be a television presenter, but decided to apply because she was interested in the numbers part of the game. Riley was chosen from more than a thousand applicants despite having no television experience. In an article for BBC News, she said, "There's only one cool maths job around and I was lucky enough to get it so I'm absolutely thrilled". She began presenting Countdown alongside Jeff Stelling from 12 January 2009.
In an interview in August 2009 she revealed that it had been difficult for her to step into Vorderman's shoes, and that she had even been criticised by certain Countdown viewers for getting some of the maths puzzles wrong. Since January 2012, she has presented the programme alongside Nick Hewer, with whom she has reportedly had problems in getting on with, stating on one occasion that they were "chalk and cheese". Her 1,000th episode was shown on 25 June 2013, where she was presented with a signed shirt and a bunch of flowers by Manchester United player Ryan Giggs who had celebrated his 1,000th football pitch appearance the same year.
Riley also does the letters and numbers rounds on the 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown series.
The Gadget Show
Since June 2013, Riley has been a presenter on the Channel 5 programme The Gadget Show. She co-hosts the programme with Jason Bradbury. Her first series (series 19), was shown for nine episodes from 3 June 2013. Her second series (series 20) began on 14 October 2013 and will continue for 22 episodes.
Strictly Come Dancing
From September 2013, Riley appeared in the eleventh series of the BBC One ballroom dancing programme Strictly Come Dancing with professional dancing partner Pasha Kovalev. She was eventually eliminated on 3 November, after losing out in the dance-off against Abbey Clancy and Aljaž Skorjanec.
|Week #||Dance/Song||Judges' scores||Result|
|Craig Revel Horwood||Darcey Bussell||Len Goodman||Bruno Tonioli||Total|
|1||Waltz / "When I Need You"||6||7||7||7||27||Safe|
|2||Salsa / "Get Lucky"||4||5||6||5||20||Safe|
|3||Cha Cha Cha / "When Love Takes Over"||6||7||7||7||27||Safe|
|4||Quickstep / "Johnny Got a Boom Boom"||5||7||7||7||26||Bottom two|
|5||Paso Doble / "Maneater"||4||6||6||6||22||Safe|
|6||American Smooth / "I Put a Spell on You"||7||7||8||8||30||Eliminated|
- Chris Moyles' Quiz Night (22 March 2009) - Panellist
- This Morning (26 March 2010) - Guest
- 8 Out of 10 Cats (17 June, 12 August, 21 October 2011, 23 March, 11 May, 15 June, 29 October 2012, 1 February 2013) - Panellist
- Celebrity Mastermind (4 January 2012) - Contestant, Manchester United as her chosen topic
- The Bank Job: Celebrity Special (16 March 2012) - Contestant,
- The Chase: Celebrity Special (19 August 2012) - Contestant,
- 12 Again (2 November 2012) - Guest
- Pointless Celebrities (17 December 2012) - Contestant, alongside Mark Durden-Smith,
- Sunday Brunch (10 February 2013) - Guest
- Five Minutes to a Fortune (21 April 2013) - Contestant, won £18,020 for charity
- Tipping Point: Lucky Stars (9 June 2013) - Contestant, won £2,600 for The Angus Lawson Memorial Trust.
- Top Gear (30 June 2013) - Star in a reasonably priced car
- I Love My Country (31 August 2013) - Panellist
- Sweat the Small Stuff (12 November 2013) - Panellist
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (4 February 2014) - Contestant,
On 26 June 2009, it was reported that Riley had been recruited by Royal Mail to employ her mathematical skills to help advise holidaymakers on how to make the most of their holiday currency, after a report by the Post Office revealed that a significant number of holidaymakers fail to calculate the actual cost of goods and services when travelling abroad and often overspend their holiday budgets.
She met her husband, Jamie Gilbert, while they were both studying at Oxford University. The couple split up at the end of 2009 after four and a half years together. They later got back together and became engaged after he proposed to her on her 25th birthday on 11 January 2011. She told viewers about the engagement on the 25 February edition of Countdown and their wedding was on 11 August 2012. It was announced on 29 November 2013 that she was splitting with her husband after 16 months of marriage.
- I really love Countdown...trust me,it is not being axed, Evening Echo, 27 July 2011 accessdate=31 July 2011
- "Names Database". Retrieved 12 March 2011.
- The 11 January 2011 edition of the show mentioned that that day was her 25th birthday.
- "Essex girl (and fresh Oxford graduate), 22, replaced Carol Vorderman on Countdown". Mail Online. 22 November 2008. Retrieved 22 November 2008.
- Campaign can count on Rachel Riley's support Evening Echo, 5 August 2009, accessdate=31 December 2013
- Countdown queen Rachel's wedding conundrum Daily Mail, 21 March 2012. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- Me a sex symbol? It just doesn’t add up, says Rachel Riley Southend Echo, 22 January 2013. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "I really love Countdown... trust me, it is not being axed". Southend Echo. 27 July 2011. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "New hosts Jeff Stelling and Rachel Riley Debut on Countdown". The Tart. 16 January 2009. Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Vowel Play The Guardian, 3 January 2009. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Telegraph numeracy campaign: Remove the stigma around maths Daily Telegraph, 4 February 2012. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- Hardy, Rebecca (29 August 2009). "I didn't count on this abuse: Rachel Riley on why being Carol Vorderman's replacement adds up to a whole lot of grief". Mail Online. Retrieved 11 September 2009.
- "Sky host Stelling joins Countdown". BBC News (BBC). 21 November 2008. Retrieved 22 November 2008.
- Countdown presenter Rachel Riley's conundrum: How can I get on with Nick Hewer? Daily Telegraph, 24 June 2012. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- It all adds up for Rachel Riley Daily Mail, 3 April 2012. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Media Monkey (24 June 2013). "Countdown: Rachel Riley red-faced over Ryan Giggs". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- Ryan Giggs to appear on Rachel Riley's 1,000th 'Countdown' episode - TV News - Digital Spy
- "The Gadget Show | Meet The Gadget Show’s new presenter: Rachel Riley! by The Gadget Show". Gadgetshow.channel5.com. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- Lander, Sebastian (26 June 2009). "Rachel Riley's currency countdown as Britons lose £288m a year over poor maths". Mail Online. Retrieved 11 July 2009.
- Kay, Richard (21 March 2012). "RICHARD KAY: Countdown queen Rachel's wedding conundrum". Mail Online. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- Todd, Ben (1 January 2010). "Countdown's Rachel Riley is single after splitting with boyfriend of four years". Mail Online. Retrieved 1 January 2010.
- "Rachel Riley begins the Countdown to her big day after getting engaged to millionaire boyfriend". Mail Online (Associated Newspapers Ltd). 25 January 2011. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- Emily Sheridan (20 August 2012). "Countdown star Rachel Riley weds her university sweetheart". Mail Online. Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- Carter, Claire (29 November 2013). "Rachel Riley in split from husband". The Daily Telegraph (Telegraph Media Group). Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "'Countdown' And 'Strictly' Star Rachel Riley 'Splits From Husband Jamie Gilbert After 16 Months Of Marriage'". Huffington Post. 29 November 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Davison, Rebecca (29 November 2013). "Countdown brainbox Rachel Riley splits from husband Jamie Gilbert after 16 months of marriage". Daily Mail (Daily Mail and General Trust). Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Rachel Riley at the Internet Movie Database
- Holmwood, Leigh (21 November 2008). "New Countdown hosts confirmed". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- Matthew Moore (21 November 2008). "Oxford maths graduate replaces Carol Vorderman on Countdown". Telegraph.co.uk (London). Retrieved 26 March 2009.
|Co-host of Countdown