Randall Hyde (born 1956) is best known as the author of The Art of Assembly Language, a popular book on assembly language programming. He created the Lisa assembler in the late 1970s and developed the High Level Assembly (HLA) language.
Randall Hyde was educated and later became a lecturer at the University of California at Riverside. He earned a bachelors degree in Computer Science in 1982, and a Masters degree in Computer Science in 1987 - both from UC Riverside. His area of specialization is compilers and other system software, and he has written compilers, assemblers, operating systems and control software. He was a lecturer at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona from 1988–93 and a lecturer at UC Riverside from 1989-2000. While teaching at UC-Riverside and Cal Poly, Pomona, Randy frequently taught classes pertaining to assembly programming (beginning and advanced), software design, compilers, and programming language theory.
Selected Computer Programs by Hyde
Selected articles by Hyde
The Fallacy of Premature Optimization, ACM Ubiquity, 2006, Volume 7, Issue 24.
Selected books by Hyde
- The Art of Assembly Language, 2nd Edition (ISBN 978-1-59327-207-4)
- The Art of Assembly Language (ISBN 1-886411-97-2)
- Write Great Code, Volume 1: Understanding the Machine (ISBN 1-59327-003-8)
- Write Great Code, Volume 2: Thinking Low-Level, Writing High-Level (ISBN 1-59327-065-8)
Early Apple programming books
- How to Program the Apple II Using 6502 Assembly Language (1981) 
- P-Source (Inside Apple Pascal) (1982) ISBN 0881900044
- Datamost, an early software design company which published works by Randy Hyde
- The Rebirth of Assembly Language Programming by Dan Romanchik, Application Development Trends, 13 October 2003, an interview with Randy Hyde about assembly language
- NNDB entry for Randall Hyde http://www.nndb.com/people/249/000125871/
- O'Reilly author profile http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/1331
- http://www.drdobbs.com/184408724 "About the Author" in "The UCR Standard Assembly Language Library: For 80x86 assembly language programmers" by Randall Hyde March 01, 1992 Dr. Dobbs Journal
- http://www.drdobbs.com/184408319?pgno=3"About the Author" in "Object-Oriented Programming in Assembly Language: OOP applies equally well to assembly language and high-level language programs" by Randall L. Hyde March 01, 1990 Dr. Dobbs Journal
- http://www.adamcon.org/ann/9709.html Adam News Network Volume 97 Issue 09
- Google Groups listing of messages from a user named Randall Hyde posted to alt.lang.asm http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?show=more&enc_user=nWOfeRcAAABiDGVaPkcnvMYumB6gBmnX4Ua0QqlRnvDj9zBA-m7X2Q&group=alt.lang.asm
- Atari Age http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=374