|Title||CEO, TechSoup Global|
Rebecca Masisak is the CEO of TechSoup Global, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit international network of 63 NGOs serving a total of 121 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe, and the Middle East.
Background, Education and Early Career
Ms. Masisak received her MBA from the Columbia University Business School, and worked as a management consultant with Coopers & Lybrand for 9 years, and in leadership roles in several Internet businesses thereafter. She joined the San Francisco nonprofit, CompuMentor (now known as TechSoup Global) in 2001, with the task of building the organization’s relatively small ‘product philanthropy’ program into both a programmatic hub of the organization and a revenue engine that could support other nonprofit and educational programs as well.
In her role at CompuMentor, Ms. Masisak designed a supply chain that addressed the needs of corporate product donors, end-user recipients and CompuMentor itself. In 2002, she led her team's creation of a business plan called DiscountTech which won a $100,000 grand prize in the Yale School of Management, Goldman Sachs, Pew Charitable Trust's "National Business Plan Competition for Nonprofit Organizations," among over 650 entries.
In recognition of her achievements, Ms. Masisak became co-CEO of the organization, joining founder Daniel Ben-Horin in 2006. Marnie Webb was also named co-CEO at that time, forming a 3-member co-CEO office that continued to lead the organization until Ms. Masisak became TechSoup Global's CEO in 2012. (In 2008 the organization formally changed its name from CompuMentor to TechSoup Global (with the name of its primary website still known as TechSoup.))
Honors, Talks and Writing
In recognition of the RCI effort, Ms. Masisak received the Full Circle Fund’s "Full Impact Award in Technology" celebrating her innovation and leadership as a social entrepreneur.
In 2008, The New York Times highlighted the organizational model Ms. Masisak created in the article “When Tech Innovation Has a Social Mission.”
In 2008, Ms. Masisak led TechSoup Global’s successful bid to receive the Council on Foundation’s formal endorsement to create NGOsource. Launched in March 2013, NGOsource is an equivalency determination service that helps U.S. grantmakers streamline their international grantmaking process. NGOsource intends to simplify the often expensive, complicated, and duplicative task of evaluating whether a non-U.S. organization is equivalent to a U.S. public charity — a process known as equivalency determination.
Ms. Masisak is a frequent speaker on topics relating to the integration of social enterprise and nonprofit mission, as well as on the topic of Digital Inclusion, or e-Inclusion. In March 2010, she joined Matthew Taylor (Chief Executive, RSA), Nick Clegg (MP), Jonathan Welfare (Chair, Nominet Trust) and Tristan Wilkinson (Inclusion Lead, Intel) as a Plenary speaker at the fifth annual National Digital Inclusion Conference in London. A video of her presentation was posted, along with other speakers at the conference (which included a keynote speech by British Prime Minister Gordon Brown). In late May 2010, Ms. Masisak participated in the European Foundation Centre’s annual “Foundation Week” in Brussels, publishing her reactions in one of philanthropy’s major publications, Alliance Magazine.
In recognition of her leadership for nonprofit and NGO development in the technology sectors, on February 3, 2010, the Telecentre.org Foundation Board of Trustees appointed Ms. Masisak as a member of its Advisory Council, and then in April 2011, appointed her to the board itself. Telecentre.org’s social investors include Microsoft, Canada's International Development Research Centre, and the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation. On March 3, 2010, Ms. Masisak gave a talk at the International Telecentre Forum in Manila, “Telecentres for Promoting Digital Opportunities.” Ms. Masisak again traveled to The Philippines as a member of Telecentre.org Foundation’s International Advisory Council on November 24, 2010.
On November 11, 2010, Rebecca Masisak joined TechSoup Global co-CEO Marnie Webb in presenting a panel at the BoardSource Leadership Forum 2010 in which they shared their experience guiding TechSoup’s growth as an international organization, at that time operating in 34 countries with three distinct boards of directors.
On June 1, 2013, Ms. Masisak moderated and spoke on the European Foundation Centre General Assembly and Conference panel “Can big data truly empower our philanthropy and our communities?” along with Marko Rakar (Croat activist), Victoria Vrana (The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation), and Jeremy Millard (Danish Technological Institute).  On June 4, 2013, an interview with Ms. Masisak appeared in the online magazine VitaEurope in a piece titled “TechSoup: Changing the world one click at a time.”
On January 23, 2014, Ms. Masisak spoke at the Lean for Social Good Summit before an audience of nonprofit executives, social entrepreneurs, Lean Startup experts, and philanthropists in San Francisco. TechSoup Global is a "Lean Impact Partner," along with Amicus, Idealist.org, NTEN, Tech Impact, Nonprofit Tech, the Tides Foundation and the Global Good Fund.
On March 13, 2014, Ms. Masisak spoke on the panel “The Power of Technology: Big Ideas around Change” at the annual Nonprofit Technology Conference (NTC) in Washington, D.C. On March 26, 2014, Ms. Masisak was interviewed as she became a member of the board of directors of the Social Enterprise Alliance and in preparation for her talk at the Social Enterprise Summit in Nashvlle, TN, describing how a nonprofit social enterprise can compete in a fast-paced, high-tech environment. “I believe that the challenges of our times call for multi-stakeholder solutions,” she said, “and technology has a big role to play here — both as a set of solutions and as an exchange platform for resources and ideas. My goal for TechSoup Global is to help scale other social good actors and resources globally, 100x.”
- GuideStar Exchange Report for TechSoup Global April 16, 2014
- Columbia CEO: Going Global with a ‘Game-Changing Effort’ Columbia Business School Alumni News May 18, 2009
- “Yale School of Management: The Goldman Sachs Foundation Partnership on Nonprofit Ventures Announces Winners of the First National Business Plan Competition for Nonprofit Organizations” May 5, 2003
- "Full Impact Award in Technology" Full Circle Fund, November 2008
- “Slipstream: When Tech Innovation Has a Social Mission” by John Markoff, The New York Times April 13, 2008
- “New service makes it easier to provide direct aid to international charities”, Philanthropy News Digest, May 20, 2013
- “Plenary Session: Private Sector Approach to Leveraging Technology for Social Change” Fifth Annual Digital Inclusion Conference March 11, 2010
- “Fifth Annual Digital Inclusion Conference Plenary Session Video of Presentations - Rebecca Masisak"
- “Not Just Links but the Chain” by Rebecca Masisak, Alliance Magazine, May 31, 2010
- “Telecentre.org Foundation board appoints Advisory Council members” Telecentre.org, February 3, 2010
- "New Chairman appointed, 6 new BOT members endorsed" Telecentre.org Newsletter, April 2011
- “Telecentres for Promoting Digital Opportunities” International Telecentre Forum, Manila, the Philippines, March 3, 2010
- “Telecentre.org Foundation board inducts 3 new members into its International Advisory Council” Telecentre.org December 4, 2010
- BoardSource Leadership Forum Program 2010 November 11, 2010
- “Expanding Internationally through Partnerships: Practical Lessons for 21st Century Nonprofits” Rebecca Masisak, co-CEO, TechSoup Global and Marnie Webb, co-CEO, TechSoup Global, BoardSource Leadership Forum, November 11, 2010
- “Can big data truly empower our philanthropy and our communities?”, European Foundation Centre General Assembly and Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 1, 2013
- “TechSoup: Changing the world one click at a time” VitaEurope June 4, 2013
- Lean Impact Summit, San Francisco January 23, 2014
- “The Power of Technology: Big Ideas around Change”, Nonprofit Technology Conference, Washington, D.C., March 13, 2014
- Social Enterprise Summit 2014 Nashville, TN April 15-17, 2014
- “Q&A with Rebecca Masisak, CEO, TechSoup Global” Social Enterprise Alliance Blog, March 26, 2014