|Type||Public limited company|
|Traded as||LSE: REX
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Key people||Graham Chipchase (CEO)|
|Products||Beverage cans, plastic packaging|
|Revenue||£3,943 million (2013)|
|Operating income||£417 million (2013)|
|Net income||£95 million (2013)|
Rexam PLC is a British multinational consumer packaging company headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It is the largest manufacturer of beverage cans in the world and a leading producer of rigid plastic packaging. It has 67 plants in 24 countries across Asia, Europe, North America and South America.
The company was founded by William Vansittart Bowater in 1881 in London selling paper. In 1923 his son, Eric, refocused the business into paper manufacturing under the name Bowater Paper Mills. The Company diversified into tissue manufacturing in 1956 forming Bowater-Scott, a joint venture with the Scott Corporation; Scott Corporation bought out the Bowater interest in the joint venture in 1986.
In 1992, the company acquired Dickinson Robinson Group Packaging. In 1995, the name was changed to Rexam, an abbreviation of the name of one of the Company's subsidiaries, Regal Paper America, and the business was refocused again – this time into consumer packaging.
In 2005, Rexam disposed of its glass manufacturing businesses to Ardagh Glass Group so as to concentrate on its beverage can production worldwide. It then went on to acquire O-I Plastics, a plastic packaging business in North America, in 2007. In June 2011, Rexam agreed to sell its lid-making operations to the U.S.-based Berry Plastics for £222 million (US$360 million).
On 13 February 2014, Rexam has said that it acquired 51% stake in United Arab Can Manufacturing Ltd for $122 million.
- Results for the year ended 31 December 2013
- Rexam: Media - Facts & Figures
- "Brazil Beer Sales to Rise With World-Cup Chances, Rexam Says". Bloomberg Businessweek. 29 April 2010. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- "Plastic Packaging". Rexam PLC. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- "Facts & figures". Rexam PLC. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Our history". Rexam PLC. Retrieved 4 September 2010.
- Grace's Guide
- Bowater to change name to Rexam Plasteurope, 31 May 1995
- Rexam sells only UK glass facility Packaging Today, 15 June 2005
- Rexam acquires O-I plastics operation Packaging News, 3 July 2007
- "Rexam to buy OI Plastics". Reuters. 11 June 2007. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Rexam sells lid-making arm to Berry Plastics for £222m". The Telegraph. 21 June 2011. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Plastics packaging: Berry claims Rexam’s closures biz for $360m". Plastics Today. 20 June 2011. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Rexam buys majority stake in Saudi Arabian beverage cans maker". Reuters. 13 February 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2014.